Joseph Cable (Medal of Honor)
Joseph A. Cable (January 1, 1848 – October 15, 1877) was a United States Army soldier during the American Indian Wars who received the Medal of Honor for his actions at Cedar Creek, Montana and other campaigns.
|Born||January 1, 1848|
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
|Died||October 15, 1877 (aged 29)|
|Place of burial|
Custer National Cemetery, Crow Agency, Montana
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Service/||United States Army|
|Unit||Company I, 5th U.S. Infantry|
|Battles/wars||American Indian Wars|
|Awards||Medal of Honor|
Cable enlisted into the United States Army, and was assigned as a Private to Company I, of the 5th United States Infantry Regiment. While serving in that organization, he won the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Battle of Cedar Creek, Montana on October 21, 1876. He was promoted to Corporal, then mortally wounded at the Battle of Bear Paw, Montana, and died of wounds on October 15, 1877. Some have claimed that he was interred in the Custer National Cemetery, in Crow Agency, Montana, although the cemetery has no burial record for him.
Medal of Honor citationEdit
Rank and organization: Private, Company I, 5th United States Infantry Regiment. Place and date: At Cedar Creek, Montana Territory, October 21, 1876. Entered service at: United States. Born: January 1, 1848, Cape Girardeau, Missouri. Date of issue: 1877
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Army Center of Military History.
- "Joseph Cable". Claim to Fame: Medal of Honor recipients. Find a Grave. Retrieved December 18, 2009.
- "General Orders". The Bismarck Tribune. July 30, 1877. p. 1. Retrieved June 13, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Got Him, Got Joseph, the Fighting Indian". The Cincinnati Enquirer. October 8, 1877. p. 4. Retrieved June 12, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Joseph Cable". Hall of Valor. Military Times. Retrieved December 18, 2009.
|This biographical article related to the United States Army is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|