Jonathan P. Bowen
|Born||1956 (age 62–63)|
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford|
|Known for||Formal methods, Z notation, Virtual Library museums pages, Virtual Museum of Computing|
|Fields||Computer science, Information Technology, Museum informatics|
|Institutions||Museophile Limited, Birmingham City University, London South Bank University, University of Reading, University of Oxford, Imperial College, London|
|Influences||David Bearman, Dines Bjørner, Jack Copeland, Mike Gordon, Jifeng He, James Hemsley, Tony Hoare, Cliff Jones, Alan Turing|
|Influenced||Mike Hinchey, Kevin Lano|
Jonathan Bowen is Chairman of Museophile Limited and an Emeritus Professor at London South Bank University, where he headed the Centre for Applied Formal Methods. He has been a Professor of Computer Science at Birmingham City University, Visiting Professor at the Pratt Institute (New York City), University of Westminster and King's College London, and a visiting academic at University College London.
Bowen was born in Oxford, the son of Humphry Bowen, and was educated at the Dragon School, Bryanston School, prior to his matriculation at University College Oxford (Oxford University) where he received the MA degree in Engineering Science.
Bowen later worked at Imperial College, London, the Oxford University Computing Laboratory (now the Oxford University Department of Computer Science), the University of Reading, and London South Bank University. His early work was on formal methods in general, and later the Z notation in particular. He was Chair of the Z User Group from the early 1990s until 2011. In 2002, Bowen was elected Chair of the British Computer Society FACS Specialist Group on Formal Aspects of Computing Science. Since 2005, Bowen has been an Associate Editor-in-Chief of the journal Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering. He is also an associate editor on the editorial board for the ACM Computing Surveys journal, covering software engineering and formal methods. From 2008–9, he was an Associate at Praxis High Integrity Systems, working on a large industrial project using the Z notation.
Bowen's other major interest is the area of online museums. In 1994, he founded the Virtual Library museums pages (VLmp), an online museums directory that was soon adopted by the International Council of Museums (ICOM). In the same year he also started the Virtual Museum of Computing. In 2002, he founded Museophile Limited to help museums, especially online, for example with discussion forums. He has also worked in industry at Oxford Instruments, Marconi Instruments, Logica, Silicon Graphics, and Altran Praxis.
Bowen was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) in 2002 and of the British Computer Society (BCS) in 2004. He is a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Information Technologists in the City of London.
- Bowen, J.P., editor, Towards Verified Systems. Elsevier Science, Real-Time Safety Critical Systems series, volume 2, 1994. ISBN 0-444-89901-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Applications of Formal Methods. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 1995. ISBN 0-13-366949-1.
- Bowen, J.P., Formal Specification and Documentation using Z: A Case Study Approach. International Thomson Computer Press, International Thomson Publishing, 1996. ISBN 1-85032-230-9.
- Bowen, J.P. and Hinchey, M.G., editors, High-Integrity System Specification and Design. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 3-540-76226-4.
- Hinchey, M.G. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Industrial-Strength Formal Methods in Practice. Springer-Verlag, London, FACIT series, 1999. ISBN 1-85233-640-4.
- Hierons, R., Bowen, J.P., and Harman, M., editors, Formal Methods and Testing. Springer-Verlag, LNCS, Volume 4949, 2008. ISBN 978-3-540-78916-1.
- Börger, E., Butler, M., Bowen, J.P., and Boca, P., editors, Abstract State Machines, B and Z. Springer-Verlag, LNCS, Volume 5238, 2008. ISBN 978-3-540-87602-1.
- Boca, P.P., Bowen, J.P., and Siddiqi, J.I., editors, Formal Methods: State of the Art and New Directions. Springer, 2010. ISBN 978-1-84882-735-6, e-ISBN 978-1-84882-736-3, doi:10.1007/978-1-84882-736-3.
- Bowen, J.P., Keene, S., and Ng, K., editors, Electronic Visualisation in Arts and Culture. Springer Series on Cultural Computing, Springer, 2013. ISBN 978-1-4471-5406-8.
- Copeland, J., Bowen, J.P., Sprevak, M., Wilson, R., et al., The Turing Guide. Oxford University Press, 2017. ISBN 978-0198747826 (hardcover), ISBN 978-0198747833 (paperback).
- Hinchey, M.G., Bowen, J.P., Olderog, E.-R., editors, Provably Correct Systems. Springer International Publishing, NASA Monographs in Systems and Software Engineering series, 2017. ISBN 978-3-319-48627-7, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-48628-4.
- Giannini, T. and Bowen, J.P., editors, Museums and Digital Culture: New Perspectives and Research. Springer Series on Cultural Computing, Springer, 2019. ISBN 978-3-319-97456-9, e-ISBN 978-3-319-97457-6, doi:10.1007/978-3-319-97457-6.
- "Centre for Applied Formal Methods". Archived from the original on 12 January 2008. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Jonathan Bowen". Birmingham City University. 2015. Archived from the original on 6 November 2015. Retrieved 2 September 2016.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "CREST members". Archived from the original on 22 October 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Jonathan Bowen home page". Archived from the original on 21 August 2007. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Spokes Symonds, Ann. "Families: The Bowens". The Changing Faces of North Oxford: Book One. Robert Boyd Publications. pp. 81–83. ISBN 978-1-899536-25-2.
- "Committee and Contact Details". BCS-FACS. UK: BCS. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Editorial Board". Innovations in Systems and Software Engineering. Springer. Archived from the original on 6 August 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Editorial board". ACM Computing Surveys. Association for Computing Machinery. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Virtual Library museums pages". International Council of Museums. Archived from the original on 12 December 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Museophile Limited". UK. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Pratty, Jon (26 September 2003). "Information about our newsfeed". Archived from the original on 4 April 2004. Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- Fenton, Norman (13 September 1996). "Critical burden of being correct". Times Higher Education Supplement.
- Johnson, Chris (1996). "Book Review – Formal Specification and Documentation using Z: A Case Study Approach". The Computer Journal. 39 (7). p. 643. doi:10.1093/comjnl/39.7.643-a.
- Robinson, Andrew (4 January 2017). "The Turing Guide: Last words on an enigmatic codebreaker?". New Scientist.
- Bowen, Jonathan Peter. Who's Who in the World, Marquis Who's Who, 18th edition, 2001.
- H-museum information
- Museums and the Web conference information
- "Film on the Web conference information". Archived from the original on 26 September 2006. Retrieved 5 June 2006.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- International Center for Scientific Research information