Jonathan Allen (born January 16, 1995) is an American football defensive end for the Washington Redskins of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at Alabama, and was drafted by the Redskins in the first round of the 2017 NFL Draft.
Allen in 2018
|No. 93 – Washington Redskins|
|Born:||January 16, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||300 lb (136 kg)|
|High school:||Ashburn (VA) Stone Bridge|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 1 / Pick: 17|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2018|
Allen was born in Anniston, Alabama, and lived in Seattle, North Carolina, South Carolina, Pittsburgh, and Maryland before settling down in Ashburn, Virginia, where he attended Stone Bridge High School. As a senior in 2012, he was the Virginia Gatorade Football Player of the Year. During his career, he had 308 tackles and 44 sacks. Allen was a five-star recruit and was ranked amongst the top of his class. He committed to play college football for the University of Alabama.
Allen played in 13 games as a true freshman at Alabama in 2013 and had 16 tackles. As a sophomore in 2014, he played in all 14 games and made 12 starts. He was named first team All-SEC after recording 33 tackles and 5.5 sacks. As a junior in 2015, Allen started all 14 games for the Crimson Tide, who won the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship.
|Year||Team||Games played||Tackles||For loss||Sacks||Forced fumbles|
Coming out of Alabama, Allen was projected to be a top five pick by some NFL draft experts. His stock began to decline after teams became concerned when he was diagnosed with arthritis in one of his shoulders and had surgery on both, two weeks before the combine. He was ranked as the top defensive tackle by Sports Illustrated, Pro Football Focus, and NFLDraftScout.com. ESPN ranked him the second best defensive end behind Myles Garrett. Even with the arthritis diagnosis, Allen was projected to be a first round pick by analysts and scouts.
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 2 5⁄8 in
|33 5⁄8 in
|9 3⁄8 in
|5.00 s||30 in
|9 ft 0 in
|All values from NFL Combine|
The Washington Redskins selected Allen in the first round, 17th overall, of the 2017 NFL Draft. On May 11, 2017, the Redskins signed Allen to a four-year, $11.59 million contract that included a fully guaranteed signing bonus of $6.57 million. Allen recorded his first career sack in a Week 3 game against the Oakland Raiders. In Week 6, he suffered a Lisfranc injury against the San Francisco 49ers. He later underwent surgery and was placed on injured reserve on October 19, 2017.
- Scarborough, Alex (November 29, 2016). "Why Nick Saban loves Jonathan Allen so much". ESPN. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Brandon Parker (November 29, 2012). "Stone Bridge's Jonathan Allen named the Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year". Washington Post.
- "Jonathan Allen".
- Paul Tenorio (May 21, 2012). "Stone Bridge DL Jonathan Allen, a two-time All-Met, commits to Alabama over Florida". Washington Post.
- "Nation's top defensive end Jonathan Allen commits to Alabama". AL.com.
- "Jonathan Allen significantly bigger, adding to Alabama's versatility along defensive line". AL.com.
- Lewis Jr., Lake. "Could shoulder concerns drop Alabama's Jonathan Allen to Redskins?". USA Today. Retrieved May 2, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 24, 2017). "2017 NFL Draft rankings: Top prospects by position". si.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Top 32 Prospects for the 2017 NFL Draft". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "Jonathan Allen, DS #1 DT, Alabama". nfldraftscout.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Jeff Legwold (April 22, 2017). "Ranking 2017 draft's top 100 players". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- "NFL Draft Profile: Jonathan Allen". NFL.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Patra, Kevin. "Jonathan Allen drafted by Redskins". NFL.com. Retrieved April 27, 2017.
- "Sportrac.com: Jonathan Allen contract". sportrac.com. Retrieved May 15, 2017.
- Inabinett, Mark. "Alabama NFL roundup: Jonathan Allen records first sacks of career". AL.com. Retrieved September 25, 2017.
- Czarda, Stephen (October 19, 2017). "Redskins Place Jonathan Allen On Injured Reserve, Sign A.J. Francis To Active Roster". Redskins.com.