John Mark Galecki (born April 30, 1975) is an American actor. He is known for playing Dr. Leonard Hofstadter in the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory since 2007 and David Healy in the ABC sitcom Roseanne from 1992 to 1997. Galecki also appeared in the films National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989), Prancer (1989), Suicide Kings (1997), I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997), Bookies (2003), In Time (2011), and Rings (2017).
Galecki in July 2017
|Born||John Mark Galecki
April 30, 1975
Galecki was born in Bree, Belgium, to American parents of Polish, Irish, and Italian descent. His mother, Mary Louise (Mary Lou) Noon, was a mortgage consultant, and his father, Richard Galecki, was a member of the U.S. Air Force stationed in Belgium, and also worked as a rehabilitation teacher. Galecki is the eldest of three children with a brother, Nick, whom he describes as a "mechanical genius" in the automotive industry, and a sister, Allison. Galecki grew up in Oak Park, Illinois.
During an interview with New Zealand radio station ZM, Galecki recalled his childhood relationship with his mother. As a child, he was well known for making up long stories and tales. In such situations, his mother used to make him play the "quiet game", where he had to see how long he could go without talking. He also recalled that despite being a loving mother, she was also very tough. One phrase she would lovingly use was, "I love you, now get out."
This section of a biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Galecki made his acting debut in the 1987 CBS miniseries Murder Ordained with JoBeth Williams and future Roseanne co-star John Goodman. In 1989, Galecki portrayed Rusty Griswold in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation. In 1990, he was cast as Danny Nash, the son of Robert Urich's lead character, on the NBC comedy American Dreamer; the following season, he was a regular cast member on the ABC sitcom Billy, a spin-off from Head of the Class. He appeared in one episode of Blossom in 1991, opposite his future The Big Bang Theory co-star Mayim Bialik.
During his run on Billy, Galecki began making guest appearances on the hit ABC sitcom Roseanne as the younger brother of Mark Healy (Glenn Quinn), who began a relationship with Darlene Conner (Sara Gilbert). Introduced in his first appearance as Kevin Healy, his name was soon changed to David. After a few more guest shots, Galecki was named a permanent Roseanne cast member from the fall of 1992 onward, after the cancellation of Billy. He would remain in the role of David Healy until the end of Roseanne's run in 1997, with the character eventually marrying Darlene and fathering a child with her.
Galecki also appeared in the 1995 music video for the Dave Matthews Band song "Satellite". Galecki was cast in the 1997 summer slasher I Know What You Did Last Summer and the 1998 dark comedy The Opposite of Sex. In the year 2000, Galecki reunited with Opposite of Sex director Don Roos, who cast him in Bounce.
Galecki continued his film streak with roles in Suicide Kings (1997) and brief bit parts in high-profile films such as Bean (1997), and a minor supporting part in Vanilla Sky (2001). Galecki played a young delinquent in A Family Torn Apart, a 1993 TV movie based on a true story about a serial killer. He was also in the 2003 film Bookies, a comedy thriller film written by Michael Bacall and directed by Mark Illsley. The story revolves around the lives of four college students. Galecki appeared as a golfer in a 2005 episode of My Name Is Earl entitled "Stole Beer from a Golfer".
In 2005, Galecki played Mark Corrigan in a pilot for a US adaptation of the British sitcom Peep Show. He played a character named Trouty on TBS's sitcom My Boys, and the half-brother of the main characters, sisters Hope Shanowski and Faith Fairfield, in the sitcom Hope & Faith. In late 2006 and early 2007, Galecki appeared in the Broadway play The Little Dog Laughed as a prostitute called Alex. "At its core, the play is about what we all sacrifice to be successful, whatever our careers or goals," he explains. Galecki originated the role earlier in 2006 at Second Stage Theatre. The widely popular comedy by Douglas Carter Beane had a successful run at Second Stage and moved to the Cort Theatre. The play closed on February 18, 2007, with Galecki taking home a 2007 Theater World Award for his performance.
Galecki plays Leonard Hofstadter in the CBS sitcom The Big Bang Theory, which debuted September 24, 2007. He was originally asked to play the role of Sheldon Cooper, but he said he was better suited for the role of Leonard Hofstadter, and Sheldon's role was eventually given to Jim Parsons. During his role as David Healy on Roseanne, Sara Gilbert played his longtime girlfriend and later wife, Darlene Conner. She has appeared as Leslie Winkle, a colleague in the Big Bang Theory. Laurie Metcalf, who portrayed Roseanne's sister Jackie Harris, has appeared as Mary Cooper, mother of Leonard's roommate, Sheldon. Galecki is a cellist, a talent which has been used on the show. As of August 2013, Galecki and his Big Bang costars Kaley Cuoco and Jim Parsons each earned US$325,000 per episode. As of August 2014, the three costars will earn US$1 million per episode.
Galecki appeared briefly in the 2008 superhero comedy Hancock, alongside Will Smith and Jason Bateman. In July 2011, he played a parody version of himself in three episodes of Entourage. He also appeared in the film In Time (2011) with Justin Timberlake and Amanda Seyfried.
On April 28, 2017, it was reported that a revival of Roseanne was in the works with most of the original cast, including Galecki, returning for the eight part mini-series.  On May 16, 2017, it was confirmed that the eight episodes would air mid-season in 2018 on ABC.  On December 1, 2017, it was announced that he will be reprising his role of David Healy for one episode.
While working on The Big Bang Theory, Galecki dated co-star Kaley Cuoco for about two years until December 2009 while the two also played a couple on the show. Cuoco told CBS Watch that they have remained on good terms since ending their relationship.
Galecki owns 360 acres (150 ha) of land in Santa Margarita, California. His property included vineyards and a log cabin. In late June 2017, Galecki's ranch was destroyed in a major wildfire known as the Hill Fire. Galecki, in a media statement, said wildfire was "the threat ... we live with constantly, which may seem crazy to some but we do so because living in our beautiful, rural area makes it worthwhile."
|1987||Time Out for Dad||Matt Kowalski|
|1987||Murder Ordained||Doug Rule|
|1988||A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon||Toby Reardon|
|1989||National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation||Russell "Rusty" Griswold|
|1990||Blind Faith||John Marshall|
|1990||In Defense of a Married Man||Eric|
|1991||Backfield in Motion||Tim Seavers|
|1993||A Family Torn Apart||Daniel Hannigan|
|1996||Murder at My Door||Teddy McNair|
|1997||Suicide Kings||Ira Reder|
|1997||I Know What You Did Last Summer||Max Neurick|
|1998||The Opposite of Sex||Jason Bock|
|2000||Playing Mona Lisa||Arthur|
|2001||Vanilla Sky||Peter Brown|
|2004||White Like Me||Marcus||Short film|
|2007||Who You Know||David||Short film|
|2009||Table for Three||Ted|
|2016||The Master Cleanse||Paul||Also producer|
|1995||Dave Matthews Band||"Satellite"|
Awards and nominationsEdit
- "Johnny Galecki". TV Guide. Archived from the original on June 11, 2016. Retrieved August 27, 2014.
- Galecki, Johnny (May 3, 1992). "Johnny Galecki". The Sun Sentinel. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- "Johnny Galecki Biography (1975–)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "Conan Show Schedule January 2–6, 2012". Team Coco. Retrieved January 1, 2012.
- "Johnny Galecki Biography". TV Guide. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "The Gnocchi from Skokie that Sang Karaoke". Conan. Season 2. Episode 103. June 13, 2012. TBS.
- "ZM's interview with Johnny". ZM Online. Archived from the original on October 22, 2010. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- Gates, Anita (November 8, 2005). "WHAT'S ON TONIGHT". nytimes.com. Retrieved September 6, 2012.
- Fullerton, Huw (2015-11-07). "Peep Show US pilot starring The Big Bang Theory's Johnny Galecki". Radiotimes.com. Retrieved 2016-01-17.
- "Follow Spot". Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- Battaglio, Stephen; Schneider, Michael (August 26, 2013). "What They Earn". TV Guide. pp. 16 - 20.
- Goldberg, Lesley (August 4, 2014). "'Big Bang Theory' Trio Inks New Deals, Securing Hefty Pay Raises". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved August 4, 2014.
- "Roseanne' TV show revival in the works with main cast set to reprise roles —". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2017-04-28.
- Otterson, Joe (May 16, 2017). "'Roseanne' Revival Lands at ABC". Variety. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Petski, Denise (1 December 2017). "'Roseanne': Johnny Galecki Set To Return As David For ABC Revival". Deadline. Retrieved 1 December 2017.
- Morgan, Hudson (September 2010). "Justify Her Love". CBS Watch. Archived from the original on February 7, 2014.
- "Johnny Galecki On Family & His Life Upstate 01/05/12 – Video @". Teamcoco.com. Retrieved March 4, 2012.
- CNN, Sandra Gonzalez (June 28, 2017). "Johnny Galecki loses ranch in sprawling California fire". Retrieved June 28, 2017.
- "Hill Fire Incident Information". CAL FIRE. Retrieved June 28, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Johnny Galecki.|