Johnny Briggs (actor)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Ernest Briggs, (born 5 September 1935) is an English actor. He is best known for his role as Mike Baldwin in the soap opera Coronation Street, in which he appeared from 1976 to 2006 and again in 2012 in the Text Santa special as a ghost. He received a lifetime achievement award at the 2006 British Soap Awards for his thirty years of contribution to the soap. 
John Ernest Briggs
5 September 1935
(m. 1961; div. 1975)
(m. 1977; div. 2006)
A graduate of the Italia Conti Academy stage school, where he was a contemporary of Lorna Fendall and Anne Hart, Briggs also had roles in a number of other British shows including Crossroads, The Saint, The Persuaders!, Thick as Thieves (TV series) and No Hiding Place, as well as several Carry On films.
In 2005 Briggs announced his intention to leave the role of Mike Baldwin. He cited the hectic filming schedule as the main reason for his departure from Coronation Street. After appearing in 2,348 episodes, his final scenes in the show were recorded on 13 March and broadcast on Friday 7 April 2006, when his character (who had been ill with Alzheimer's disease for several months) collapsed and died in the arms of Ken Barlow in the street after suffering a heart attack.
Despite suggesting he was to retire from acting after leaving Coronation Street, Briggs has made appearances in both Agatha Christie's Marple and Holby City in 2007, as well as the short-lived ITV soap opera Echo Beach. In 2012 he also appeared in a Coronation Street sketch to raise money for the charity Text Santa.
Briggs lives in an apartment in Portishead Quays, Portishead, North Somerset, UK and a house in Florida, USA. He is a keen golfer.
- Hue and Cry (1947) - Bit Part (uncredited)
- Oliver Twist (1948) - Undetermined Minor Role (uncredited)
- Quartet (1948) - Boy on Common (segment "The Kite") (uncredited)
- Helter Skelter (1949) - BBC Page Boy (uncredited)
- The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) - Small Role (uncredited)
- The Magic Box (1951) - Youth (uncredited)
- Cosh Boy (1953) - Skinny Johnson
- Second Fiddle (1957) - Jimmy
- Sink the Bismarck! (1960) - Young Seaman on Prince of Wales (uncredited)
- Light Up the Sky! (1960) - Leslie Smith
- The Bulldog Breed (1960) - Johnny Nolan
- The Wind of Change (1961) - Frank Marley
- Information Received (1961) - Willis
- H.M.S. Defiant (1962) - Wheatley
- The Wild and the Willing (1962) - Dai Hawkins
- Doctor in Distress (1963) - Medical Student (uncredited)
- A Stitch in Time (1963) - Armed Robber.
- The Leather Boys (1964) - Boy Friend
- The Devil-Ship Pirates (1964) - Pablo, a pirate
- 633 Squadron (1964) - Lt Jones
- The Intelligence Men (1965) - Boy in cinema
- Carry On Up the Khyber (1968) - Sporran Soldier (uncredited)
- La ragazza con la pistola (1968) - Brawler (uncredited)
- Some Girls Do (1969) - Air Traffic Controller (uncredited)
- The Last Escape (1970) - Cpl. O'Connell
- Perfect Friday (1970) - Taxi Driver
- Quest for Love (1971) - Club Barman (uncredited)
- Au Pair Girls (1972) - Malcolm
- Bless This House (1972) - Open Truck Driver
- Go for a Take (1972) - Assistant Director (uncredited)
- On the Buses (1969) - Window Cleaner (In Series 6, Episode 2)
- The Best Pair of Legs in the Business (1973) - Millet
- Secrets of a Door-to-Door Salesman (1973) - Loman
- Man About the House (1974) - Milkman
- Bedtime with Rosie (1974) - Man in Cafe
- Carry On Behind (1975) - Plasterer (uncredited)
- Carry On England (1976) - Melly's Driver
- The Office Party (1976) - Peter
- "MBE for former Street star Briggs". BBC News. 30 December 2006.
- Soaps - News - In Pictures: The British Soap Awards 2006 - Digital Spy
- "Fullscreen Page | ITALIA CONTI JUNIOR SCHOOL". italiacontijuniors.
- "Johnny Briggs". BFI.
- "Johnny Briggs". www.aveleyman.com.
- Ottewell, David (15 February 2007). "Street star Johnny wins an MBE". men.
- "Cinderella". www.bbc.co.uk.
- Sheldon, Jess (24 September 2018). "Coronation Street cast: Johnny Briggs' daughter Karen jailed for stealing sunglasses". Express.co.uk.