John W. Reed
John W. Reed
|Born||December 11, 1918|
Independence, Missouri, U.S.
|Died||March 6, 2018(aged 99)|
|Title||Thomas M. Cooley Professor of Law Emeritus|
|Spouse(s)||Ivy F. Vonado Reed, Dorothy Elaine Floyd Reed|
|Children||Alison Reed Robison, Mark (Deceased) and Randy (Deceased)|
|Alma mater||William Jewell College (B.A.)|
Cornell Law School (LL.B.)
Columbia Law School (LL.M.)
|Institutions||University of Michigan|
University of Oklahoma
University of Colorado
Wayne State University
Reed received law degrees from Cornell Law School (LL.B. 1942) and Columbia Law School (LL.M. 1949, J.S.D. 1957). Reed joined the Michigan Law faculty in 1949. Reed taught civil procedure, evidence, trial advocacy, and other courses at Michigan Law, and won many teaching awards.
Reed left Michigan to become dean of the University of Colorado Law School, but returned to Michigan in 1968. In retirement, he became dean of the Wayne State University Law School and taught there. Reed served as a visiting professor at Harvard, Yale, Chicago, NYU, and other law schools. Reed was succeeded as Thomas M. Cooley Professor of Law by Edward H. Cooper.
Reed received awards from the American College of Trial Lawyers, Association of Continuing Legal Education Administrators, and State Bar of Michigan. He is an academic fellow of the International Society of Barristers and was the society's administrative director and editor.
In 1946 Reed married Ivy Vonada and they had three children, Alison, Mark, and Randy. John is survived by Ivy Vonada Reed of Lynnwood, WA., and their daughter Alison Robison of Saline, MI.; and daughters of Dorothy - Victoria Peter, of Reston, PA., and Suzanne Unger of Pinckney, MI. Reed was married to Dorothy Elaine Floyd Reed, who lived from 1926 to 2012.
- History and Traditions, Faculty - John W. Reed, University of Michigan Law School.
- John W. Reed
- Faculty Biography - John W. Reed. University of Michigan Law School.
- "List of Past Deans". University of Colorado School of Law. Retrieved September 13, 2017.
- Inaugural John W. Reed Michigan Lawyer Legacy Award Presented: Award Named After Reed, '49, Honors the Best of Legal Educators. University of Michigan Law School.
- John W. Reed Michigan Lawyer Legacy Award, State Bar of Michigan.
- Sheila Pursglove, Profile in Brief: Edward H. Cooper, Civil Society, Legal News (June 15, 2011).
- John W. Reed—P19295, State Bar of Michigan.
- Obituary, Dorothy Elaine Floyd Reed, MLive.com.