John T. Morton
This article needs to be updated.July 2014)(
John T. Morton (born 1966) is an American government official who served as the director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) from 2009 to 2013. Morton was appointed unanimously by the U.S. Senate on May 12, 2009. Morton stepped down from ICE in July 2013 to take on a role as senior vice president of Capital One, a bank with headquarters in Virginia.
|Director of the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement|
May 12, 2009 – July 31, 2013
|Preceded by||John Torres (as Assistant Secretary, acting)|
|Succeeded by||John Sandweg (acting)|
|Born||1966 (age 54–55)|
|Alma mater||University of Virginia (BA, JD)|
In an interview conducted shortly after his appointment, Morton emphasized a need for moderation:
And you're putting people in jail, and that's good work but it's also awesome work. I mean your actions lead to somebody going to jail. So I think, you know, the way to look at Government service is as a great honor and privilege. ... As a Government employee, balanced perspective is critical, trying to reach the common good is critical. You're not an extreme advocate. Your job is to try to get it right, and that's a very rewarding and satisfying position to be in.
Morton also expressed dissatisfaction at ICE's reliance on state and local prisons to house detainees, stating: "Immigration detention is a civil function, it is not a penal function. Over the years, however, the system has largely become dependent on excess jail space." Under his leadership, ICE constructed a new detention center in Karnes County, TX. Morton called the new detention facility "sensible, sustainable and attentive to the unique needs of the individuals in our custody".
Because he worked on controversial issues, Morton complained of criticism from the right and the left. "I can get criticized on the same issue from both sides on the same day," he said in 2010.
- Preston, Julia (2013-06-17). "Director of Enforcement Agency Resigns to Work for Bank". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-04-22.
- Morton, John T. (22 August 2009). "Interview". Business of Government Hour. IBM Center for the Business of Government. Retrieved 20 August 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Nevins, Joseph (28 March 2012). "Immigrant Detention in the United States: Hope and Change, or More of the Same?". Border Wars (NACLA). Retrieved 21 August 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Aizenman, N. C. (20 March 2010). "Latinos increasingly critical of Obama's record on immigration". Washington Post. Retrieved 21 August 2012. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to John T. Morton.|
- Official ICE biography
- Interview about ICE policy and priorities
- John T. Morton on LinkedIn
- Appearances on C-SPAN
John P. Torres
| Assistant Secretary for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement
May 12, 2009 - July 31, 2013