John Sargent Rockwell (born September 16, 1940) is an American music critic, editor, arts administrator, and dance critic. He studied at Phillips Academy, Harvard, the University of Munich, and the University of California, Berkeley, earning a Ph.D. in German cultural history.
John Sargent Rockwell
September 16, 1940
Washington, D.C., USA
|Residence||Manhattan, New York|
|Occupation||Music critic, editor, director, arts administrator, dance critic|
|Spouse(s)||Linda F. Mevorach|
|Parent(s)||Alvin J. Rockwell (1908-1999)|
Anna S. Hayward (1906-1983)
Rockwell began his journalistic career at the Oakland Tribune and the Los Angeles Times. In 1972 he began writing at The New York Times, first as a classical music critic and reporter, then also as the paper's chief pop music critic, and, from 1992 to 1994, as the European cultural correspondent. Between 1994 and 1998, he served as the first director of the Lincoln Center Festival. Rockwell returned to The New York Times to become the editor of the paper's Sunday Arts and Leisure section. In 2004, he was named the chief dance critic. He left the Times at the end of 2006 to pursue independent projects.
Rockwell currently lives in Manhattan with his wife, Linda Mevorach. Their daughter, Sasha, resides in California. He is the son of late San Francisco attorney Alvin J. Rockwell and Anna S. Hayward.
In January 2008, Rockwell was a Distinguished Visitor at the American Academy in Berlin. He is a Chevalier of the French Order of Arts & Letters.
- All American Music, Knopf (1983) ISBN 0-394-51163-8.
- Sinatra: An American Classic, Random House (1984) ISBN 0-394-53977-X.
- The Idiots, BFI (2003) ISBN 0-85170-955-9.
- Outsider: John Rockwell on the Arts, Limelight (2006) ISBN 0-87910-333-7
- "The Times of the Sixties" (editor), Black Dog and Leventhal (2014) ISBN 1579129641
- Google Books, The International Who's Who (2004), 67th Edition, Europa Publications, 2003, ISBN 1-85743-217-7, Library of Congress Catalog Card #35-10257, page 1426, Retrieved Apr. 30, 2018.
- New York Times, Alvin Rockwell, 90; Lawyer Helped Mold A Postwar Germany by Wolfgang Saxon, May 20, 1999, Retrieved Apr. 28, 2018.
- Find-A-Grave - Alvin John Rockwell, Retrieved Apr. 28, 2018.
- Find-A-Grave - Anna Sargent Rockwell, Retrieved Apr. 28, 2018.
|This article about a United States journalist born in the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about someone associated with the art of dance is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|