|Born||9 September 1940|
|Died||2 May 2012 (aged 71)|
|Employer||Cave Hill BC / Salisbury BC|
|League||N. I. B. A|
|Club||York Road Civil Defence BC|
He started bowling aged 15 and won a bronze medal in the triples at the 1976 World Outdoor Bowls Championship in Johannesburg. He also won a bronze medal in fours at the 1970 British Commonwealth Games in Edinburgh.
Higgins plied his trade with YRCD bowling club through all of his career. Since his death the CD Hall as it is known has been renovated and also incorporates the HUBB Community Resource Centre, where a mural proudly stands of John playing bowls for his club.
- "Profile". Bowls tawa.
- Bell, Harry E (1976). 3rd World Bowls Championship, South Africa 1976. J.G.Ince & Son Ltd.
- Newby, Donald (1991). Bowls Yearbook 91. Telegraph Publications. ISBN 0-330-31664-8.
- "Commonwealth Games Medallists - Bowls". GBR Athletics.
- "IBA Singles winners". Irish Bowls Association.
- Sullivan, Patrick (1986). Guinness Bowls Records. Guinness Superlatives Ltd. ISBN 0-85112-414-3.