John Graham, 4th Earl of Montrose
In January 1595, in revenge for the death of his kinsman John Graham of Hallyards, he fought with James Sandilands on the Royal Mile. Sandilands' brother-in-law William Crauford, brother of the laird of Carse was killed.
Marriage and FamilyEdit
He married Margaret Ruthven, daughter of William Ruthven, 1st Earl of Gowrie and Dorothea Stewart. Their children included:
- James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose, later 1st Marquess of Montrose.
- Lilias Graham, married Sir John Colquhoun of Luss, 1st Baronet.
- Elizabeth Graham
- Margaret Graham married Archibald Napier, 1st Lord Napier of Merchiston
- Dorothea Graham married Sir James Rollo, Younger of Duncrub.
- Katherine Graham
- Beatrix Graham married David Drummond, 3rd Lord Maderty.
- MacDonald, Alan R. "Graham, John, fourth earl of Montrose". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/67519. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Calendar State Papers Scotland, vol. 10 (Edinburgh, 1936), pp. 199-200.
- John Mackenzie, A chronicle of the kings of Scotland (Edinburgh, 1830), p. 152.
- Joseph Browne, Theo. Turquet Mayernii Opera medica (London, 1703), pp. 163-71
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Earl of Montrose