|Born||18 February 1964|
|Commands held||Scotland, Northern England and Northern Ireland|
British Forces Gibraltar
HMS Ark Royal
Aberdeen Universities' Royal Naval Unit
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Bronze Star Medal (United States)
Early life and educationEdit
Clink was born on 18 February 1964. He was educated at Cheltenham Grammar School, then an all-boys state grammar school. He studied international security and strategy at King's College London, graduating with a Master of Arts (MA) degree in 2012.
He became commanding officer of the Aberdeen University Royal Naval Unit and its patrol boat HMS Archer in 1991, commanding officer of the frigate HMS Kent in 1998 and commanding officer of HMS Ark Royal in July 2008 before becoming Deputy Commander UK Maritime Forces in June 2011. In the latter role he commanded Combined Task Force 150, a multinational naval task force working under a 25 nation coalition of Combined Maritime Forces based in Bahrain. He went on to be Commander British Forces Gibraltar in November 2012, Flag Officer Scotland, Northern England, Northern Ireland in the rank of rear admiral in August 2014 and Flag Officer Sea Training in 2015.
- 'Clink, Rear Admiral John Robert Hamilton', Who's Who 2015, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2015
- "Rear Admiral John Clink OBE". Anti-Submarine Warfare Instructors' Association. Retrieved 25 June 2016.
- "Commodore John Clink is new CPF". Gibraltar Chronicle. 17 October 2012. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- Listing compiled by historian Colin Mackie Archived 2012-03-15 at the Wayback Machine
- "Naval Base Clyde welcomes new senior naval officer". Navy News. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 24 October 2015.
- "No. 56734". The London Gazette (Supplement). 29 October 2002. p. 4.
- "No. 61962". The London Gazette. 17 June 2017. p. B5.