John Baines (Egyptologist)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
John Robert Baines, FBA (born 17 March 1946) is a British retired Egyptologist and academic. From 1976 to 2013, he was Professor of Egyptology at the University of Oxford and a fellow of The Queen's College, Oxford.
Baines was born on 17 March 1946. He is the oldest son of Edward Russell Baines and his wife Dora Margaret Jean (née O’Brien). He was educated at Winchester College, an all boys public boarding school in Winchester, Hampshire, England. He went on to study Egyptology at the University of Oxford. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree (BA) in 1967, later promoted to Master of Arts (MA). He gained his Doctor of Philosophy degree (DPhil) in 1976.
Baines was Professor of Egyptology at the University of Oxford from 1976 to 2013. He was one of the youngest professors at the university at the age of 30. He retired from full-time academia in 2013 but maintains his link with Oxford as a research associate.
Baines is the author of multiple scholarly articles and publications relating to Ancient Egypt. His research interests are in Ancient Egyptian art, religion, literature, and biographies; modelling ancient Egyptian society; comparative and anthropological approaches to ancient civilizations.
- (with Jaromir Malek) Atlas of Ancient Egypt (1980) ISBN 0-87196-334-5
- Fecundity Figures: Egyptian Personification and the Iconology of a Genre (1987) ISBN 0-86516-122-4
- Pyramid Studies and Other Essays Presented to I.E.S. Edwards (1988) ISBN 0-85698-106-0
- (Contributor) Religion in ancient Egypt: Gods, Myths, and Personal Practice" (1991) ISBN 0-8014-9786-8
- (Translator of Erik Hornung's), Conceptions of God in Ancient Egypt: the One and the Many (1982) ISBN 0-8014-1223-4
- Stone Vessels, Pottery and Sealings from the Tomb of Tutankhamun (1994) ISBN 0-900416-63-7
- High Culture and Experience in Ancient Egypt (2000) ISBN 0-485-93010-2
- Fecundity Figures (2001) ISBN 0-900416-78-5
- Visual and Written Culture in Ancient Egypt (2007) ISBN 0-19-815250-7
- Baines, John; Bennet, John; Houston, Stephen, eds. (2008). The disappearance of writing systems: perspectives on literacy and communication. London: Equinox. ISBN 978-1845530136.
- "Baines, Prof. John Robert". Who's Who 2018. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2017. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.6191. Missing or empty
- "BAINES, Prof. John Robert". Who's Who 2012. A & C Black. December 2011. Missing or empty
- "Prof John Baines". The Queen’s College. 2012. Archived from the original on 23 September 2012. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "Professor John Baines". British Academy. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about a British archaeologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article about an Egyptologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|