John B. Biggs
John Burville Biggs Hobart, Tasmania) is an Australian educational psychologist and novelist who developed the SOLO taxonomy for assessing the quality of learning outcomes, and the model of constructive alignment for designing teaching and assessment.(born 25 October 1934, in
John Burville Biggs
25 October 1934
|Alma mater||University of Tasmania (BA)|
University of London (PhD)
|Known for||Structure of observed learning outcomes|
|Institutions||University of Hong Kong|
|Thesis||The psychological relationship between cognitive and affective factors in arithmetical performance (1962)|
Career and researchEdit
Biggs has held university faculty positions in Australia, Canada, United Kingdom, and Hong Kong. His final institutional affiliation is as Honorary Professor of Psychology at the University of Hong Kong. His most influential work is his concept of constructive alignment, which is an outcomes-based framework for university teaching as described in Teaching for Quality Learning at University published in its fourth edition with Catherine Tang as co-author in 2011. Changing Universities  is an academic memoir covering nearly 60 years of involvement with universities in several countries, and in that time universities themselves have changed drastically.
Awards and honoursEdit
Since retiring from academic life, Biggs has published short stories and four novels, The Girl in the Golden House, Project Integrens, Disguises and Tin Dragons. Tasmania Over Five Generations  is a social-political history of Tasmania as seen through the eyes of five generations of his own family. Towards Forgiveness: Sino-Tasmanian stories from two islands  is a collection of short stories. His 2013 novel was From Ashes to Ashes.
- Constructive Alignment at the Higher Education Academy
- Teaching Teaching & Understanding Understanding (short-film about constructive alignment)
- Biggs, John Burville (1962). The psychological relationship between cognitive and affective factors in arithmetical performance. london.ac.uk (PhD thesis). University of London. OCLC 1006277297.
- Biggs, J. B. and Tang, C. (2011). Teaching for quality learning at university. Open University Press/Mc Graw-Hill Education.[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, John. (2013) Changing Universities Strictly Literary[ISBN missing]
- "BIGGS, John Burville". Australian Honours Search Facility, Dept of Prime Minister & Cabinet. Retrieved 9 June 2018.
- Biggs, J. B. (2003). The Girl in the Golden House. Pandanus Books.[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, J. B. (2006) Project Integrens Sid Harta.[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, J. B. (2007) Disguises. Burville Books[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, J.B. (2008). Tin Dragons Maygog Publishing[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, John (2011). Tasmania Over Five Generations: Return to Van Diemen's Land? Forty Degrees South.
- Biggs, J.B. (2012) Towards Forgiveness: Sino-Tasmanian Stories from Two Islands Ginninderra Press[ISBN missing]
- Biggs, John. (2013) From Ashes to Ashes Interactive Publications[ISBN missing]