|San Diego Padres – No. 37|
|Born: June 6, 1993|
|March 30, 2018, for the San Diego Padres|
|MLB statistics |
(through May 4, 2019)
|Earned run average||4.28|
Lucchesi attended Newark Memorial High School in Newark, California and played college baseball at Chabot College and Southeast Missouri State. He was named the Ohio Valley Conference Pitcher of the Year in 2015 and 2016. He was drafted by the San Diego Padres in the fourth round of the 2016 Major League Baseball Draft.
Lucchesi made his professional debut with the Tri-City Dust Devils. On July 28, he combined with three other pitchers, to throw a one-hitter versus the Spokane Indians. He was promoted to the Fort Wayne TinCaps in September. In 15 total games between the two teams, he posted an 0–2 record and 1.29 ERA with 56 strikeouts in 42 innings. In 2017, Lucchesi played for both the Lake Elsinore Storm and the San Antonio Missions, pitching to a combined 11–7 record with a 2.20 ERA and 0.97 WHIP in 24 total games (23 starts) between both clubs.
Lucchesi made his major league debut on March 30, 2018, at Petco Park against the Milwaukee Brewers, making him the first pitcher from the 2016 draft to reach the major leagues and second player overall after Austin Hays. He started the game and pitched 42⁄3 innings, giving up three earned runs on seven hits along with striking out one; he did not receive a decision as the Brewers defeated the Padres 8–6. Lucchesi missed a month on the disabled list with a right hip strain in late May and early June, but was otherwise a regular member of the Padres' rotation. He finished his 2018 rookie campaign pitching to an 8–9 record with a 4.08 ERA in 26 starts. He led the rotation with 10 strikeouts per 9 innings, but only averaged 5.0 innings per start.
- "Southeast Missouri State ace pitcher Joey Lucchesi waits to hear name called in MLB Draft". semissourian.com. June 9, 2016. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "Padres draft Southeast Missouri State pitcher Lucchesi in fourth round". semissourian.com. June 11, 2016. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "Tri-City's Joey Lucchesi, three relievers combined to one-hit Spokane Indians". spokesman.com. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "Lucchesi finishes first professional season". southeastarrow.com. September 14, 2016. Retrieved June 2, 2017.
- "Joey Lucchesi Stats, Highlights, Bio – MiLB.com Stats – The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Acee, Kevin. "Padres prospect Joey Lucchesi to make major league debut Friday".
- "Padres' Joey Lucchesi: Mixed results in debut". CBSSports.com.
- Acee, Kevin (June 26, 2018). "Padres notes: Joey Lucchesi wanted to continue, understands why he didn't". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 23, 2019.
- Stevens, Nick. "San Diego Padres: 2018 MVP, Rookie Of The Year, Cy Young". FriarsOnBase.com. Fansided. Retrieved March 23, 2019.
- Sanders, Jeff (December 27, 2018). "Padres roster review: Joey Lucchesi". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 23, 2019.