Joey Boy (film)
Joey Boy is a 1965 British comedy war film directed by Frank Launder and starring Harry H. Corbett, Stanley Baxter, Bill Fraser, Percy Herbert, Lance Percival, Reg Varney and Thorley Walters. The film was based on the 1959 novel by Eddie Chapman.
|Directed by||Frank Launder|
|Produced by||Sidney Gilliat|
|Written by||Frank Launder|
Mike Watts (adaptation and screenplay)
|Based on||a novel by Eddie Chapman|
|Starring||Harry H. Corbett|
|Music by||Philip Green|
|Edited by||John Shirley|
|Distributed by||British Lion Films (UK)|
After a gang of London Spivs are arrested for running an illegal gambling den during the Second World War they are offered a choice between prison and a tour of duty with the British Army putting their unique talents to work.
- Harry H. Corbett as Joey Boy Thompson
- Stanley Baxter as Benny 'The Kid' Lindowski
- Bill Fraser as Sergeant Major Dobbs
- Percy Herbert as Mad George Long
- Lance Percival as Clarence Doubleday
- Reg Varney as Rabbit Malone
- Moira Lister as Lady Thameridge
- Derek Nimmo as Lieutenant Hope
- Thorley Walters as Colonel Grant
- John Arnatt as Brigadier Charles Chapman
- Eric Pohlmann as Antonio
- John Phillips as Inspector Morgan
- Lloyd Lamble as Sir John Averycorn
- Edward Chapman as Tom Hobson
- Basil Dignam as General
- Vicki Woolf as Gina
British Lion had been owned by the government. In 1964 the Conservative government had it denationalised. Among the films made by British Lion in its first year of independence were Joey Boy, Rotten to the Core, Dr Who and the Daleks and Dr Terror's House of Horrors. By November 1965 British Lion were seeking re-nationalisation.
The Guardian called it a "hopelessly ramshackle vehicle" for Harry Corbett.
Britmovie wrote, "despite pretensions to follow in the same vein as the Boulting Brothers Private's Progress there’s a distinct lack of humour here, the combined talents of TV comics Harry H. Corbett, Reg Varney and Stanley Baxter are sadly wasted in this fitful film."
- "Joey Boy (1965)". BFI. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012.
- "Joey Boy". TVGuide.com.
- JOEY BOY Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 32, Iss. 372, (Jan 1, 1965): 56.
- British Lion directors seek renationalisation Our own Reporter. The Guardian 19 Nov 1965: 24.
- A clash of symbols from Russia The Guardian 10 May 1965: 4
- "Joey Boy". britmovie.co.uk. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. Retrieved 2 October 2015.