Joseph Martin Hergert (June 7, 1936 – January 16, 2016) was an American college and professional football player who was a linebacker and placekicker in the American Football League (AFL) for two seasons during the early 1960s. Hergert played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, he played professionally for the Buffalo Bills of the AFL.
|Born:||June 7, 1936|
|Died:||January 16, 2016 (aged 79)|
Daytona Beach, Florida
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||216 lb (98 kg)|
|High school:||Daytona Beach (FL) Mainland|
|NFL Draft:||1959 / Round: 24 / Pick: 277|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Hergert attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Bob Woodruff's Florida Gators football team from 1956 to 1958. During his three seasons as a Gator, he played multiple positions, including center, fullback, linebacker and placekicker.
The Green Bay Packers of the National Football League (NFL) selected Hergert in the twenty-fourth round (277th pick overall) of the 1959 NFL Draft, but he did not play during the 1959 season. He played for the AFL's Buffalo Bills in 1960 and 1961.
- "Joseph Hergert Obituary - Ormond Beach, Florida". Legacy.com. January 18, 2016. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- J. "Joseph Martin Hergert - TheMountainMail.com: Obituaries". TheMountainMail.com. Retrieved January 30, 2016.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Joe Hergert Archived November 21, 2011, at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide Archived April 2, 2012, at the Wayback Machine, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, p. 182 (2011). Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Joe Hergert. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Joe Hergert. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.