Jill Singer (1957 – 8 June 2017) was an Australian journalist, columnist and television presenter.
Korumburra, Victoria, Australia
|Cause of death||Amyloidosis|
Singer began her career in journalism as an ABC radio trainee in 1984. She eventually became a senior reporter for The 7.30 Report on ABC and later presented the Victorian edition of Today Tonight on the Seven Network. She also presented for The 7.30 Report, The Arts Show, 2-shot and People Dimensions (ABC TV) She was the executive producer of ABC TV's national morning news and current affairs program First Edition. She wrote a weekly column for Melbourne's Herald Sun newspaper between 1997 and 2012, and lectured in television journalism at RMIT University in Melbourne. She made regular appearances on The Conversation Hour (ABC 774) and on Sky News Australia's Melbourne Report.
In 1992, Singer won the Walkley Award for "Best Investigative Television Journalist." In 1997, Singer was highly commended at the Quill Awards for her Herald Sun column. In 1999, Singer won the Quill Award for Best Television Current Affairs report for an investigation into Exxon Mobil. In 2010, Singer and Lisa Whitehead won the Quill Award for Best Television Current Affairs (less than 15 minutes) for a report on flaws in the criminal justice system's treatment of domestic violence victims.
Personal life and death
In February 2017, Singer was diagnosed with terminal AL amyloidosis. On 8 April, she married lawyer Anthony Brand. On 8 June 2017, a post by her family on Singer's Facebook page announced that she had died at the age of 60.
- "Conference speakers and organisers". Multicultural Media Exchange. Retrieved 8 June 2017.
- Singer gets 'boned' from tabloid column (2 March 2012)
- Quills Honour Roll 1999
- Best TV Current Affairs/Feature Under 10 minutes
- Dmytryshchak, Goya; Cunningham, Melissa (8 April 2017). "Journalist Jill Singer diagnosed with terminal illness". The Age. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- "Veteran journalist and broadcaster Jill Singer has died age 60". Herald Sun. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2017.