Jill Saward (singer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Saward performing in Wuppertal, Germany (2014)
9 December 1953 |
|Genres||Jazz, funk, pop|
|Instruments||Vocal, flute, percussion|
|Shakatak - Invitations: Do#Dj International Jazz Festival, April 22, 2008, Kyiv - Ukraine.. date July 12, 2012, Youtube (public video-sharing website|
Jill Saward (born 9 December 1953) is a British singer, musician and composer, best known for being the lead voice of the English jazz-funk band of Shakatak.
Jill Saward and the Fusion Orchestra gained a following of fans who secured a record deal with EMI music to produce their first album Skeleton in Armour', an album that immediately received critical acclaim upon its debut, and is now considered a collector's item highly sought after.
After the band Fusion Orchestra split, Saward became involved in a new all female group, called Brandy. The band, produced by Polydor, was active for about three years in the UK and Europe, before disbanding in 1976.
Saward was spotted later by the band leader Nicky North who invited her to perform in the 'Cats Whiskers' with his own big soul funk band. She also made a name for herself as one of the UK's session singers at that time. Saward also had a brief stint with a musical group of all women, called Citizen Gang, built by a French manufacturer of Orpheus Productions, and still managed to collaborate with the Nicky North Band. It was in this period she met band, Nigel Wright and Roger Odell, who are still components of jazz-funk band Shakatak.
It was through them that Saward was able to record some vocals on an experimental track of a song called "Steppin", and after nine top ten hits Saward was invited to be a permanent part of the group and started to tour worldwide.
She became the leading voice of Shakatak sharing success for more than 35 years. The band is still touring and recording and still popular around the world, especially in Europe and the Far East. They usually publishe a new album every two years for JVC Records and Secret Records.
Despite constant touring and recording, Saward has always managed to find time to develop new projects, and still continues to write and record new material.
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: Formatting, non-use of wikitable(s), laundry list appearance, unreferenced (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Jill Saward (solo albums)Edit
- 1999: Just For You
- 2016: Just For You (remastered with three bonus tracks)
- 2016: M Is For Manhattan
- 2016: Endless Summer
With Fusion OrchestraEdit
- 1973: Skeleton in Armour - recorded at Abbey Road Studios
- 1977: Ooh Ya
With Citizen GangEdit
- 1979: Citizen Gang
- 1979: "Womanly Way"
- 1982: Invitations
- 1982: Night Birds
- 1983: Out of This World
- 1984: Down on the Street
- 1984: Shakatak Live in Japan (live)
- 1985: Live! (Febbraio 1985) (live)
- 1985: City Rhythm
- 1986: Into the Blue (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1987: Golden Wings (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1987: Never Stop Your Love
- 1988: Manic and Cool
- 1988: Da Makani (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1988: The Very Best of Shakatak
- 1989: Niteflite (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1989: Turn the Music Up
- 1990: Fiesta (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1990: Christmas Eve (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1991: Bitter Sweet
- 1991: Utopia (pubblicato in Giappone)
- 1993: Street Level
- 1993: Under the Sun
- 1993: The Christmas Album
- 1994: Full Circle
- 1997: Let The Piano Play
- 1998: View From The City
- 1998: Live at Ronnie Scott's
- 2001: Under Your Spell
- 2003: Blue Savannah
- 2005: Easier Said Than Done (live album)
- 2005: Beautiful Day
- 2007: Emotionally Blue
- 2009: Afterglow
- 2011: Across The World
- 2014: On The Corner
- 2016 Times and Places
- 1988: The Coolest Cuts
- 1990: Perfect Smile (Issued in the US only)
- 1991: Open Your Eyes (Issued in the US only, with one track, "Hungry")
- 1991: Remix Best Album
- 1991: Night Moves
- 1996: The Collection
- 1996: Jazz Connections Volumes 1-6 (Six compilation albums of their exclusive Japanese albums from the 1980s and early 1990s)
- 1998: Shinin' On
- 1999: Magic
- 1999: Jazz In The Night
- 2000: The Collection Volume 2
- 2002: Dinner Jazz
- 2003: Smooth Solos
- 2008: The Best Of Shakatak
- 2008: The Ultimate Collection
- 2009: The Coolest Cuts 12" Mixes Volume 1
- 2009: The Coolest Cuts 12" Mixes Volume 2
- 2012: The 12 Inch Mixes
- 2013: More 12 Inch Mixes
- 2014: Snowflakes & Jazzamatazz
- A three-part compilation album set, compiled by Roger Odell:
- Sunset Jazz
- After Dark
- Drive Time
|Year||Single||UK Singles Chart|
|"Feels Like the Right Time"||41|
|1981||"Living in the UK"||52|
|"Easier Said Than Done"||12|
|1983||"Dark is the Night"||15|
|"If You Could See Me Now"||49|
|"Out of This World"||83|
|1984||"Down on the Street"||9|
|"Don't Blame It on Love"||55|
|"Day by Day" (with Al Jarreau)||53|
|"Mr. Manic and Sister Cool"||56|
|"Time of My life"||—|
|1989||"Turn the Music Up"||—|
|"Back to the Groove"||—|
|1993||"One Day at a Time"||—|
|1997||"Let the Piano Play"||—|
|1998||"Move a Little Closer"||—|
- 1984: Twilight Sensation [Laserdisc]
- 1986: The Purely Music Concert Series [Laserdisc]
- 2004: Live at the Playhouse [DVD]
- 2004: In Concert [DVD]
- 2005: Live At Duo Music Exchange [DVD]
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 492. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Citizen Gang Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Jill Saward". Shakatak.com. 2016-02-19. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Jill Saward". Smooth-jazz.de. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "Jill Saward". Last.fm. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- "SHAKATAK Interview (Jill Saward & Bill Sharpe) 2003". YouTube. 2013-04-16. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Gary Jackson. "Syndicated Radio Shows From Gary Jackson". Garyjacksonradio.com. Retrieved 2017-01-05.
- Rachel Dickerson (2015-05-29). "Interview: Shakatak gear up for Purley Festival headline slot (From Your Local Guardian)". Yourlocalguardian.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-01-05.