Jeon (Korean surname)
Jeon (전), also often spelled Jun, Chun or Chon, is a common Korean family name. As of the South Korean census of 2000, there were 687,867 people with this name in South Korea. It can be written with three different hanja, each with different meanings and indicating different lineages.
- 全 (온전할 전 onjeonhal jeon, "whole"). This is the most common character, used by 493,419 people in 153,208 households according to the 2000 Census. The surname has a Baekje origin. It is also said that when Goryeo dynasty fell, many changed their royal surname Wang to Jeon(全) / Ok(玉) to avoid severe persecution by the succeeding Joseon dynasty.
- 田 (밭 전 bat jeon, "field"). This is the second-most common character, used by 188,354 people in 58,895 households. The surname has a Goryeo origin.
- 錢 (돈 전 don jeon, "money"). This is the least common character, used by 6,094 people in 1,883 households.
|Pronunciation||Korean pronunciation: [tɕʌn]|
In a study by the National Institute of Korean Language based on 2007 application data for South Korean passports, it was found that 67% of people with this family name spelled it in Latin letters as Jeon in their passports, while 23% spelled it Jun, and 5% spelled it Chun. Rarer alternative spellings (the remaining 5%) included Chon, Cheon, Jean, Jeun, Jen, Jhun, and Zeon.
- Jeon Jung-kook, South Korean singer, member of BTS
- Jeon Do-yeon, South Korean actress
- Jeon Yeo-been, South Korean actress
- Ha Ji-won (born Jeon Hae-rim), South Korean actress
- Jeon Hye-bin, South Korean actress and singer
- Jeon Ji-yoon, South Korean singer-songwriter and actress
- Jeon In-hwa, South Korean actress
- Jeon Jong-seo, South Korean actress
- Jeon Bo-ram, South Korean singer and actress
- Jun Jae-youn, South Korean badminton player
- Jeon Yeo-ok, South Korean politician
- Jun Hyo-seong, South Korean singer, member of Secret
- Jeon Sang-guk, South Korean author
- Jeon So-min, South Korean actress, regular cast member of Running Man
- Jeon Da-hye, South Korean short track speed skater
- Jeon Tae-il, South Korean activist
- Chun Doo-hwan, South Korean politician, a president of South Korea
- Jun Ji-hyun (born Wang Jihyun) South Korean actress
- Byeong Sam Jeon, South Korean artist
- Jeon So-mi, Canadian singer based in South Korea, former member of I.O.I
- Jeon So-yeon, South Korean singer, member of (G)I-DLE
- Jeon Sung-woo, South Korean actor
- Jeon Mi-do, South Korean actress
- Jeon So-min, South Korean Singer, member of KARD
- "행정구역(구시군)/성씨·본관별 가구 및 인구" [Family names by administrative region (district, city, county): separated by bon-gwan, households and individuals]. Korean Statistical Information Service. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- 성씨 로마자 표기 방안: 마련을 위한 토론회 [Plan for romanisation of surnames: a preparatory discussion]. National Institute of the Korean Language. 25 June 2009. p. 60. Retrieved 22 October 2015.