Jeanette Bolden (born January 26, 1960) is an American Olympic athlete who formerly competed in the 100 metres. She is currently the head coach of the track and field team at the University of Central Florida.
|Born||January 26, 1960|
Los Angeles, California
World class sprinterEdit
She competed for the United States in the 1984 Summer Olympics held in Los Angeles, U.S. in the 4 x 100 metres where she won the gold medal with her teammates 100 metre silver medalist Alice Brown, Chandra Cheeseborough and Olympic 100m champion Evelyn Ashford. She also placed 4th in the 100 metres in a time of 11.25 seconds.
Bolden has suffered from asthma throughout her life. Her athletic career came to a sudden end at the 1988 Olympic Trials when she ruptured her Achilles tendon just moments after teammate Florence Griffith Joyner set the still standing World Record in the 100 metres. It was one of the most heartbreaking memories for her coach Bob Kersee.
Unable to run with the same intensity as before, she applied her efforts to coaching, initially as an assistant coach at UCLA under Kersee. Between 1994 and 2012, Coach Bolden developed over 50 UCLA NCAA All-Americans in the sprints, hurdles and relays.
- "UCF hires Hall of Fame coach Jeanette Bolden to lead track team". Orlando Sentinel. 2013-06-26. Archived from the original on 2013-11-15. Retrieved 2013-06-26.
- http://www.legacy.usatf.org/statistics/champions/OlympicTrials/HistoryOfTheOlympicTrials.pdf Olympic Trials
- Ortega, John (September 11, 1994). "Cal State Northridge All-time Track And Field Leaders". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- "Jeanette Bolden: Gold Medalist and Hall of Famer to Lead Track Knights". UCF Today. June 26, 2013. Retrieved January 2, 2019.
- http://www.thefreelibrary.com/TRACK+COACH+FACES+THE+HURDLES+OF+ASTHMA.(LA.COM)-a0182294705 The Daily Breeze by Emily Henry
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-07-16. Retrieved 2014-07-15.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- http://www.legacy.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2007_03_15_13_12_38 USATF
- http://www.legacy.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUID=USATF_2008_07_14_09_52_13 USATF Press Release