Jayne Margaret Jagot is an Australian judge. She has been a Judge of the Federal Court of Australia since 3 September 2008. She was previously a judge of the Land and Environment Court of New South Wales.
Jayne Margaret Jagot
|Judge of the Federal Court of Australia|
|Assumed office |
3 September 2008
|Judge of the Land and Environment Court (NSW)|
2006 – 2 September 2008
|Education||Baulkham Hills High School|
University of Sydney
Early life and educationEdit
Jagot was born in England, and migrated to Australia with her family in 1968. Jagot studied at Baulkham Hills High School before receiving an arts degree from Macquarie University in 1987. She subsequently received a law degree with first-class honours from the University of Sydney in 1991. While at the University of Sydney, she won the Butterworth's Prize for Most Proficient in First Year, the Pitt Cobbett Prize for Administrative Law, the Sir Alexander Beattie Prize in Company Law, the Margaret Ethel Peden Prize in Real Property, the Minter Ellison Prize in Intellectual Property, and the Nancy Gordon Smith Prize for Honours.
Jagot worked as a solicitor with Mallesons Stephen Jaques from 1992 to 2002, specialising in planning and environmental law. She was promoted to partner in 1997, but left the firm when she was admitted to the bar in 2002, after which she developed a successful practice as a barrister.
Land and Environment CourtEdit
Jagot was appointed as a Judge of the Land and Environment Court of New South Wales in 2006. She also served as an acting judge of the Equity Division of the Supreme Court of New South Wales for a period.
- "Swearing in of Judge Jayne Jagot", Attorney-General's Department (NSW). Accessed 21 April 2009.
- "The Hon Justice Jayne Jagot- Appointment" (PDF). (2006 Winter) Bar News: Journal of the NSW Bar Association 71.
- Speech of Anna Katzmann QC at the swearing in of Jayne Jagot as a judge of the Federal Court of Australia, New South Wales Bar Association. Accessed 21 April 2009.
- "Three new judges appointed to the Federal Court". Attorney-General's Department. Archived from the original on 19 July 2008. Retrieved 21 April 2009.
- "The Hon Justice Jayne Jagot - Appointment" (PDF). (2008 Summer) Bar News: Journal of the NSW Bar Association 99.