Merritt James Norvell III (born March 28, 1963) is an American college football coach and former player. He is currently the head coach at the University of Nevada, Reno, a position he has held since the 2017 season. Norvell played college football at the University of Iowa from 1982 to 1985 and professionally in the National Football League (NFL) with the Chicago Bears for one season, in 1987. Norvell served as the offensive coordinator for Nebraska (2004–2006) and UCLA (2007). At Nebraska he helped guide quarterback Zac Taylor to win Big 12 Offensive Player of the Year honors and break several school passing records. Norvell was the co-offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach at the University of Oklahoma from December 2010 to January 2015. He was previously the wide receivers coach at the University of Texas. In February 2016, he was announced as the new wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator at Arizona State. Norvell had play calling duties for the Texas Longhorns in 2015.
Norvell at 2017 Mountain West media days
|Annual salary||$715,080.99 (2018)|
|Born||March 28, 1963|
|Position(s)||Defensive back, linebacker|
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1988||Northern Iowa (WR)|
|1995–1997||Iowa State (QB/WR)|
|1998–2001||Indianapolis Colts (WR)|
|2002–2003||Oakland Raiders (TE)|
|2008–2010||Oklahoma (assistant OC / WR)|
|2016||Arizona State (PGC/WR)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
|First team All-Big Ten (1985)|
Head coaching recordEdit
|Nevada Wolf Pack (Mountain West Conference) (2017–present)|
|2018||Nevada||8–5||5–3||T–2nd (West)||W Arizona|
|2019||Nevada||7–6||4–4||3rd (West)||L Famous Idaho Potato|
- "Multiple records for Merritt J. Norvell". Transparent Nevada. Retrieved September 30, 2019.
- "Jay Norvell NFL Football Statistics". Pro-Football-Reference.com. Retrieved December 7, 2012.
- "Texas hires former Oklahoma co-offensive coordinator Jay Norvell". Retrieved January 10, 2015.
- "Arizona State hires former Texas play caller Jay Norvell". Retrieved February 22, 2016.
- "Texas HC Charlie Strong: Jay Norvell will take over play calling from Shawn Watson". Retrieved September 8, 2015.