Enestam was the Municipal Director of Västanfjärd between 1978 and 1983 and a Project Chief at the Nordic Council of Ministers during the period 1983–1991. He was a member of Finland's parliament, the Eduskunta, from 1991 until 2007 and a member of the government between 1995 and 2006 in various posts.
Some previous posts he has held are:
- Government of Åland, Head of Office, 1974–1978
- Municipality of Västanfjärd, Municipal Manager, 1978–1983
- Nordic Council of Ministers, Project Manager for Archipelago Cooperation, 1983–1991
- Municipal Council of Västänfjärd, Chairperson, 1989–1996
- Special Adviser to the Minister of Defence, 1990–1991
- Member of Parliament, 1991 onwards
- Minister of Defence, from 2 January 1995 to 13 April 1995
- Minister at the Ministry of Social Affairs and Health (equality affairs), from 2 January 1995 to 13 April 1995
- Minister of the Interior, from 13 April 1995 to 15 April 1999
- Party leader of the Swedish People's Party, 1998–2006
- Minister of Defence, from 15 April 1999 to 17 April 2003
- Minister at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs (Nordic cooperation and cooperation with the neighbouring regions), from 15 April 1999 to 17 April 2003
- Minister of Environment from 17 April 2003 to 1 January 2007
- Director of the Secretariat of the Nordic council from 1 August 2007 – 2013
He was married to Solveig V. Dahlqvist in 1979 and has three children.
- Lundberg, Stefan. ""För fin" för att bli handelsman". www.hbl.fi (in Swedish). Retrieved 4 January 2020.
- "Council of State – Ministers of Interior". Valtioneuvosto.fi. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Council of State – Ministers of Defence". Valtioneuvosto.fi. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- Publications, Europa (2003). The International Who's Who 2004. Psychology Press. p. 493. ISBN 9781857432176.
| Finnish Minister of Defence
| Finnish Minister of the Environment
|Party political offices|
| Leader of the Swedish People's Party
| Secretary-General of the Nordic Council
|This article about a Finnish politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|