James "Jim" Jacks (December 29, 1947 – January 20, 2014) was an American film producer of several blockbuster films, and was also known for cultivating visionary independent film auteurs, having produced the first Hollywood films of Richard Linklater, Joel and Ethan Coen, and Kevin Smith.
|Died||January 20, 2014 (aged 66)|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Resting place||Forest Lawn Memorial Park (Hollywood Hills)|
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University (BS)|
Cornell University (MBA)
Born December 29, 1947, Jacks grew up in a military family. He graduated from Carnegie Mellon University with a B.S. in Industrial Engineering and from Cornell University with an MBA. He was working as a Wall Street financial analyst when he decided to be a screenwriter. Unsuccessful, he became head of production at Circle Films in the early- to mid-1980s and then senior vice-president of production at Universal Studios from the late-1980s into the early-1990s. In 1992, he became an independent producer with Alphaville Films, which he co-founded with Sean Daniel. He left Alphaville Films in 2004.
He was a producer in all films unless otherwise noted.
|1987||Raising Arizona||Executive producer|
|1993||Dazed and Confused|
|Heart and Souls||Executive producer|
|1995||Village of the Damned||Co-executive producer|
|1998||A Simple Plan|
|2001||Down to Earth|
|The Mummy Returns|
|Rat Race||Executive producer|
|2002||The Scorpion King|
|Intolerable Cruelty||Executive producer|
|2008||The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor|
|The Scorpion King 2: Rise of a Warrior||Direct-to-video|
|2012||The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption||Executive producer||Direct-to-video||Final film as a producer|
|2015||The Scorpion King 4: Quest for Power||Executive producer||Direct-to-video||Posthumous release|
|2018||The Scorpion King: Book of Souls||Executive producer||Direct-to-video||Posthumous release|
|1995||Mallrats||The director would like to thank: For treating us like the Coens as opposed to the twenty-something know-nothings we really are|
|2000||Attention Shoppers||Special thanks|
|2016||Everybody Wants Some!!||In remembrance: A guy who loved movies|
|1996||Don't Look Back||Executive producer||Television film|
- "James R. Jacks Obituary". Los Angeles Times. January 30, 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2018 – via Legacy.com.
- Thompson, Anne (January 21, 2014). "RIP 'Mummy' and 'Raising Arizona' Producer James Jacks, Who Died of a Heart Attack Monday". Indiewire.com. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- McNary, Dave (January 20, 2014). "'The Mummy,' 'Dazed and Confused' Producer James Jacks Dies in Los Angeles". Variety.com. Penske Business Media, LLC. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- James Jacks at IMDb
- Jim Jacks at the TCM Movie Database
- Rest in Peace, Mr. Mallrats... by Kevin Smith
- James Jacks at Find a Grave