James Hamilton, 5th Duke of Abercorn
James Hamilton, 5th Duke of Abercorn, KG (born 4 July 1934), is a British nobleman, peer, and politician. He became Duke of Abercorn in the Peerage of Ireland on the death of his father in June 1979. He is the son of James Edward Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn, and Lady Kathleen Crichton. He is a former politician and Lord Steward of the Household.
The Duke of Abercorn
Portrait by Allan Warren, 1990
|Chancellor of the Order of the Garter|
|Assumed office |
17 October 2012
|Preceded by||The Lord Carrington|
|Preceded by||The Viscount Ridley|
|Succeeded by||The Earl of Dalhousie|
|Lord Lieutenant of Tyrone|
20 March 1987 – 4 July 2009
|Preceded by||John Hamilton-Stubber|
|Succeeded by||Robert Lowry Scott|
|Member of the House of Lords|
4 June 1979 – 11 November 1999
|Preceded by||James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn|
|Succeeded by||House of Lords Act 1999|
|Member of Parliament|
for Fermanagh and South Tyrone
15 October 1964 – 18 June 1970
|Preceded by||Lord Robert Grosvenor|
|Succeeded by||Frank McManus|
|Born||4 July 1934|
|Political party||Ulster Unionist|
(m. 1966; her death 2018)
|Children||James Hamilton, Marquess of Hamilton|
Lady Sophia Hamilton
Lord Nicholas Hamilton
|Parents||James Hamilton, 4th Duke of Abercorn|
Educated at Eton College and the Royal Agricultural College, in 1953 he was commissioned into the Grenadier Guards as Second Lieutenant Lord James Paisley, and then promoted to Lieutenant in 1955. He quitted Active Service and was absorbed into Regular Army Reserves a year later. In 1964 he became Ulster Unionist MP for Fermanagh and South Tyrone (when he held the courtesy title Marquess of Hamilton), succeeding his cousin, Lord Robert Grosvenor (later Duke of Westminster). He held his seat in the 1966 election but lost it to Frank McManus in 1970 by 1,423 votes. In 1970 he served as High Sheriff of Tyrone. In 1974 he joined Ulster Defence Regiment,  but left the regiment and remained in the British Army in the Volunteer List in 1980. From 1986 to 2009 he was the Lord Lieutenant of County Tyrone. In 1999, he was appointed a Knight of the Order of the Garter. He was Colonel of the Irish Guards from 2000 to 2008. Additionally, he was appointed Lord Steward of the Household in 2001, serving until 2009.
He owns more than 15,000 acres (61 km2). His seat is Baronscourt, near Newtownstewart, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. The Dukedom of Abercorn is in the Peerage of Ireland and did not carry an entitlement to a seat in the House of Lords, but until 1999 the Duke was entitled to sit there under his subsidiary title Marquess of Abercorn, in the Peerage of Great Britain. He was appointed Chancellor of the Order of the Garter on 17 October 2012.
In 1966 he married Alexandra Anastasia "Sacha" Phillips (1946-2018), eldest daughter of Lt.-Col. Harold Pedro Joseph Phillips (1909–1980) and Georgina Wernher (1919–2011), elder daughter and co-heiress of Sir Harold Wernher, 3rd Baronet, of Luton Hoo, Bedfordshire. Alexandra Anastasia Phillips is the elder sister of Natalia, widow of the 6th Duke of Westminster.
The Duke and Duchess of Abercorn have two sons and a daughter:
- James Harold Charles Hamilton, Marquess of Hamilton (born 19 August 1969), who was married on 7 May 2004 at the Guards Chapel, Wellington Barracks, to Tanya Marie Nation (born Neuilly-sur-Seine, 30 April 1971), eldest daughter of Douglas Percy Codrington Nation (Rawalpindi, 12 February 1942 – New York City, 2 September 2001), senior managing director of Bear Stearns International Ltd. (1942–2001) and his wife (New York, 10 April 1970, divorced 1989) Barbara "Bobbie" Anne Brookes (1940). They have two children, James Alfred Nicholas Hamilton, Viscount Strabane (born 30 October 2005) and Lord Claud Douglas Harold Hamilton (born 12 December 2007).
- Lady Sophia Alexandra Hamilton (born 8 June 1973), who was a model before 1996. She married British war journalist Anthony Loyd in 2002, but their marriage was dissolved, without children, in 2005. Lady Sophia subsequently became engaged to Hashem Arouzi in 2013. She is now co-designer for the fashion label Hamilton-Paris.
- Lord Nicholas Edward Claud Hamilton (born 5 July 1979) married 30 August 2009 Tatiana, daughter of Evgeni Kronberg; they have a daughter, Valentina, born 2010.
He is also a relative of Diana, Princess of Wales as he is the first cousin of Diana's father, the 8th Earl Spencer. The current duke's father, the 4th Duke of Abercorn was the brother of Diana's grandmother, Cynthia Spencer, Countess Spencer. Their Royal Highnesses The Duke of Cambridge, The Duke of Sussex, Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, and Prince Louis of Cambridge are his distant cousins.
- "Abercorn, James Hamilton". Who's who 1998 : an annual biographical dictionary. New York: St. Martin's Press. 1998. p. 2. ISBN 0312175914.
- "No. 39944". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 21 August 1953. p. 4582.
- "No. 40400". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 4 February 1955. p. 775.
- "No. 40802". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 8 June 1956. p. 3436.
- Michael Stenton and Stephen Lees, "Who's Who of British Members of Parliament", vol. IV (Harvester Press, 1981), p. 149.
- "No. 2596". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 9 January 1970. p. 13.
- "No. 46500". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 24 February 1975. p. 2558.
- "No. 48229". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 23 June 1980. p. 9002.
- "No. 55466". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 23 April 1999. p. 4575.
- "No. 56020". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 7 November 2000. p. 12480.
- "No. 60301". The London Gazette (1st supplement). 17 October 2012. p. 19937.
- Montague-Smith, Patrick W., ed. (2008). "Abercorn, Duke of (Hamilton) Sat as Marquess of Abercorn (GB 1790) (Duke I 1868, Bt I 1660)". Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage 2008. London: Debrett's Peerage Limited.
- Burke's Peerage and Baronetage
- "Evan/Evans - North Wales Genealogy Extracts". Recyclegen.com. Archived from the original on 23 December 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "James Harold Charles Hamilton, Marquess of Hamilton". The Peerage. Lundy Consulting Ltd. 17 January 2011. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 5 July 2012.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "MARSDEN, Christine b. 04 Aug 1919 Bengal, India d. 05 Sep 1992 Crondall, Hampshire, England, UK". Nation Study. Retrieved 5 February 2013.
- "Mr H. Arouzi and Lady Sophie Hamilton". Daily Telegraph. 18 January 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Hamilton-Paris". Retrieved 24 January 2013.
- "Burke's Peerage - The Official Website". www.burkespeerage.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to James Hamilton, 5th Duke of Abercorn.|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Duke of Abercorn
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Lord Robert Grosvenor
| Member of Parliament for Fermanagh and South Tyrone
The Viscount Ridley
| Lord Steward
Earl of Dalhousie
The Grand Duke of Luxembourg
| Colonel of the Irish Guards
Sir Sebastian Roberts
| Lord Lieutenant of Tyrone
Robert Lowry Scott
The Lord Carrington
| Chancellor of the Order of the Garter
|Peerage of Ireland|
| Duke of Abercorn
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Duke of Sutherland
The Duke of Abercorn
The Duke of Westminster