Jamal Lee Adams (born October 17, 1995) is an American football strong safety for the New York Jets of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football at LSU, and was drafted sixth overall in the 2017 NFL Draft by the Jets.
Adams in the 2017 NFL season.
|No. 33 – New York Jets|
|Born:||October 17, 1995|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||213 lb (97 kg)|
|High school:||Hebron (Carrollton, Texas)|
|NFL Draft:||2017 / Round: 1 / Pick: 6|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 17, 2018|
|Player stats at PFR|
Adams attended Hebron High School in Carrollton, Texas. During his final two years, he had 138 tackles and seven interceptions on defense and 20 touchdowns on offense. In his senior year, Hebron finished 8–4 on the season, advancing to the UIL 5A Division II Area final at AT&T Stadium, where they lost 42–21 to Cedar Hill.
Adams played in all 13 games with two starts as a true freshman at LSU in 2014 and had 66 tackles and a sack. As a sophomore, he was a second-team All-Southeastern Conference selection as a safety by the Associated Press (AP) and SEC coaches. As a junior, Adams was named to the AP All-SEC first team.
Coming out of college, Adams was invited to the NFL Combine and performed all the required drills. On May 4, 2017, Adams attended LSU's pro day and opted to run the 40-yard dash (4.40s), 20-yard dash (2.57s), and 10-yard dash (1.58s) and was able to improve on his combine numbers. He was projected to be a first round pick by the majority of analysts and scouts. Sports Illustrated, DraftScout.com, Pro Football Focus, and ESPN ranked Adams the top safety in the draft.
|Jamal Adams' NFL Combine workout|
|Jamal Adams' 40-yard dash|
|Adams' 40-yard dash at LSU Pro Day|
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|5 ft 11 5⁄8 in
|33 3⁄8 in
|9 1⁄4 in
|4.56 s||1.60 s||2.67 s||4.13 s||6.96 s||31 1⁄2 in
|10 ft 0 in
|All values from 2017 NFL Combine.|
|Jets select Jamal Adams sixth overall|
|Jamal Adams draft profile|
Adams entered training camp competing against Calvin Pryor and fellow rookie Marcus Maye for a role as a starting safety. Head coach Todd Bowles named Adams the starting strong safety to begin the regular season, alongside free safety Marcus Maye.
He made his professional regular season debut and first career start in the New York Jets' season-opener at the Buffalo Bills and recorded five combined tackles and deflected a pass in their 21–12 loss. Adams made his first career tackle on running back Mike Tolbert after his 13-yard run on the Bills' first drive. On September 24, 2017, Adams recorded two solo tackles, broke up a pass, and made his first career sack on quarterback Jay Cutler during a 20–6 win against the Miami Dolphins. In Week 17, he collected a season-high ten combined tackles (three solo) and a pass deflection in the Jets' 26–6 loss at the New England Patriots. He finished his rookie season in 2017 with 83 combined tackles (63 solo), six pass deflections, and two sacks in 16 games and 16 starts.
- Thomas, Justin (November 24, 2013). "No vacancy: Lodge, Cedar Hill keep Hebron out of third round of playoffs". Carrollton Leader.
- 5-star Hebron safety Jamal Adams commits to LSU over Florida: ‘I’m ready to go win some national championships’ Archived November 18, 2015, at the Wayback Machine
- Surprise, Les: Jamal Adams commits to LSU
- Early success has helped LSU's Jamal Adams grab starting spot
- LSU safety Jamal Adams hits anything that moves: Ron Higgins
- "2015 Associated Press All-SEC football team". College Football. Associated Press. December 14, 2015. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- Kalland, Robby (December 8, 2015). "2015 Coaches' All-SEC Team: Alabama leads the way with 10 selections". CBS Sports. Retrieved November 2, 2016.
- "It's a Sweep: No 1. Alabama Cleans up on AP All-SEC Team". ABC News. Associated Press. December 8, 2016. Retrieved December 10, 2016.
- Chase Goodbread (January 6, 2017). "LSU's Jamal Adams declares his intention to enter 2017 NFL Draft". NFL.com. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Chris Burke (April 24, 2017). "2017 NFL draft rankings: Top prospects by position". si.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- "Top 32 Prospects For the 2017 NFL Draft". profootballfocus.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Jeff Legwold (April 22, 2017). "Ranking the Top 100 Prospects". ESPN.com. Retrieved May 16, 2017.
- Sessler, Marc (April 27, 2017). "Jets select LSU safety Jamal Adams with sixth pick". NFL.com.
- "Jamal Adams finalizes rookie deal with Jets". ESPN. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Jets' rookie safeties Adams, Maye looking more like vets". The Turbine. Retrieved July 31, 2017.
- "Spotrac.com: Jamal Adams contract". Spotrac.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- Barbato, Matt (May 7, 2017). "Jets' Todd Bowles says Calvin Pryor better not be afraid of competition". all22.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "The Jets Opening Day Depth Chart". ganggreennation. September 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "NFL Game Center: Week1-2017: New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills". NFL.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "NFL Game Center: Week 3-2017: Miami Dolphins @ New York Jets". NFL.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Jamal Adams (2017)". NFL.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "NFL Player stats: Jamal Adams (career)". NFL.com. Retrieved April 7, 2018.
- "Jets safety Jamal Adams makes first Pro Bowl". MSN. Retrieved December 18, 2018.
- New York connections: LSU safety Jamal Adams has some