Jakob Oettinger (// OT-in-jer; born December 18, 1998) is an American professional ice hockey goaltender currently playing for the Dallas Stars of the National Hockey League (NHL). He played for Boston University during his collegiate career. After being part of the USA Hockey National Team Development Program, he was widely considered as a top prospect for the 2017 NHL Entry Draft. The Dallas Stars selected Oettinger in the first round, 26th overall, of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft.
December 18, 1998|
Lakeville, Minnesota, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 4 in (193 cm)|
|Weight||205 lb (93 kg; 14 st 9 lb)|
|NHL team||Dallas Stars|
26th overall, 2017|
After spending his freshman year at Lakeville North High School, Oettinger committed to the USA Hockey National Team Development Program (USNTDP) Juniors for the 2014–15 season. Oettinger played two seasons with the USNTDP Juniors while committing to Boston University. He was drafted in the first round, 26th overall, of the 2017 NHL Entry Draft by the Dallas Stars.
During his freshman season at Boston University, Oettinger posted a 2.11 goals-against average and .927 save-percentage. During that season, Oettinger was named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month for the month of October, was a two-time Hockey East Rookie of the Week, a two-time Hockey East Defensive Player of the Week and was named Hockey East Top Performer four times. Thus, he was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team and Hockey East Second Team All-Star at the end of the year. During his second season at Boston University, Oettinger was named to the Hockey East All-Tournament Team of the 2018 Hockey East Men's Ice Hockey Tournament and earned the William Flynn Tournament Most Valuable Player award after he helped Boston win their ninth Hockey East Tournament title. Prior to the 2018–19 season, Oettinger was named an alternate captain for the Terriers, along with Chad Krys.
On March 25, 2019, Oettinger signed a three-year, entry-level contract with the Dallas Stars and was assigned to their AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars, on an amateur tryout contract. Upon joining the Texas Stars, Oettinger recorded a .897 save percentage and a 3.34 goals-against average in his first eight games. On March 3, 2020, he earned his first NHL call up as Ben Bishop dealt with a lower-body injury. On September 8, 2020, he made his NHL debut in relief of Anton Khudobin in the third period of the second game of the 2020 Western Conference Final against the Vegas Golden Knights.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2013–14||Lakeville North High||USHS||9||—||—||—||—||—||—||1.86||.931||2||—||—||—||—||—||0.50||.973|
|2014–15||U.S. National Development Team||USHL||20||5||10||0||1058||57||1||3.23||.907||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|2015–16||U.S. National Development Team||USHL||15||11||3||0||858||32||1||2.24||.919||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Representing United States|
|World Junior Championships|
|2018 United States|
Awards and honorsEdit
|All-Hockey East Rookie Team||2017|||
|All-Hockey East Second Team All-Star||2017|
|Hockey East All-Tournament Team||2018|||
|William Flynn Tournament Most Valuable Player||2018|
- 2016-17 NCAA Division I Men's Hockey Pronunciation Guide (scroll to Boston University). Retrieved September 8, 2020
- "2017 Draft: Jake Oettinger opening eyes". National Hockey League. 2017-06-21. Retrieved 2017-06-21. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Stars trade up to No.26 to select Jake Oettinger in first round". sportsday.com. 2017-06-24. Retrieved 2017-06-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "NTDP Announces 11 Commits for 2014-15 Season". usahockeyntdp.com. April 15, 2014. Retrieved October 14, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Four Commits Taken on Day Two of NHL Draft". goterriers.com. June 24, 2017. Retrieved October 14, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Baker, Kris (June 5, 2017). "Baker's Top 31: #27 Jake Oettinger". NHL.com. Retrieved March 16, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "JAKE OETTINGER". goterriers.com. Retrieved March 16, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "BOSTON UNIVERSITY CLAIMS HOCKEY EAST CROWN WITH 2-0 WIN OVER PROVIDENCE". hockeyeastonline.com. March 17, 2018. Retrieved April 20, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Martin, Matthew (October 11, 2018). "Men's hockey utilizes leadership throughout team, leads by example". The Daily Free Press. Retrieved October 30, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Stars sign goaltender Jake Oettinger to three-year, entry-level contract". NHL.com. March 25, 2019. Retrieved March 25, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Matthew DeFranks (November 14, 2019). "Amid a rough start for AHL Texas, Stars prospect Jake Oettinger is adapting to life in the pros". Dallas News. Retrieved March 3, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- @DallasStars (March 3, 2020). "Updates per Rick Bowness: Bishop out with a lower-body injury, day-to-day (skated this morning), Stephen Johns returns to the lineup, Polak out, Dobby gets the start, Oettinger backing up on emergency basis" (Tweet) – via Twitter. .
- Biographical information and career statistics from NHL.com, or Eliteprospects.com, or The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
| Dallas Stars first round draft pick
C. J. Smith
| Hockey East Tournament MVP