Jagdish Singh Khehar
Jagdish Singh Khehar (born 28 August 1952) is the 44th and current Chief Justice of India (CJI). Khehar is the first CJI from the Sikh community. He has been a judge in Supreme Court of India since 13 September 2011 and will retire on 27 August 2017 upon superannuation.
Jagdish Singh Khehar
|Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of India|
4 January 2017
|Appointed by||President of India|
|Preceded by||T. S. Thakur|
|Judge of the Supreme Court of India|
13 September 2011
|Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court|
8 August 2010 – 12 September 2011
|Chief Justice of Uttarakhand High Court|
29 November 2009 – 7 August 2010
|Born||28 August 1952|
|Alma mater||Punjab University, Chandigarh|
As an aftermath of Supreme Court's landmark decision in the 2G spectrum scam, Govt of India filed a Presidential reference before the Supreme Court. Justice Khehar gave a separate concurring opinion in which he warned that the government should not be under erroneous impression that it is not necessary to allocate natural resources through auction.
No part of the natural resource can be dissipated as a matter of largess, charity, donation or endowment, for private exploitation. Each bit of natural resource expended must bring back a reciprocal consideration.
Heading a three-judge bench of Punjab and Haryana High Court Justice Khehar decided a case involving definition of a Sikh. He held that religion must be perceived as it is, and not as another would like it to be.
In the note, Pul claimed that Khehar had demanded ₹49 crore (Para 15.22, Page 39) and ₹31 crore (Para 15.27, Page 41) in bribes from Pul for delivering a favourable verdict.
In yet another controversy involving CJI Khehar, High Court Judge C.S. Karnan ordered a psychological evaluation of Khehar. On May 8, 2017 C S Karnan ordered a punishment of 5 years of rigorous imprisonment and a fine worth Rs. 1 lakh on Jagdish Khehar.
- "Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar - Profile". Supreme Court of India. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "J S Khehar may become 1st Sikh Chief Justice of India in 2017". Day & Night News. Retrieved 28 September 2012.
- "Justice J.S. Khehar appointed as 44th Chief Justice of India". The Hindu. 19 December 2016. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Natural resources cannot be dissipated as charity: SC judge". First Post. Sep 27, 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2013.
- "Justice Khehar had defined Sikh identity". The Times of India. Sep 12, 2011. Retrieved 20 December 2016.
- "Former CM Kalikho Pul's suicide note" (PDF).
- "CJAR covering note along with Mr. Kalikho Pul, former Arunachal Pradesh CM's complete suicide note (without redactions) – Campaign for Judicial Accountability & Judicial Reforms". judicialreforms.org. Retrieved 2017-02-21.
- "SC sentences Justice Karnan to 6 months in prison". NewsBytes. Retrieved 2017-05-09.
- "Karnan's revenge- 8 SC Judges slapped with rigorous imprisonment, fine". NewsBytes. Retrieved 2017-05-09.