Jackson Stephens (baseball)
|Born: May 11, 1994|
|July 1, 2017, for the Cincinnati Reds|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2018 season)
|Earned run average||4.83|
Stephens attended Oxford High School in Oxford, Alabama and was drafted by the Cincinnati Reds in the 18th round of the 2012 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed with the Reds, forgoing his commitment to play college baseball at the University of Alabama, and made his professional debut that same season with the Arizona League Reds, going 1-1 with a 4.64 ERA in twenty relief appearances. In 2013, he played for the Dayton Dragons where he pitched to a 3-7 record and 4.59 ERA in 14 games (six starts) and in 2014, he returned to Daytona, going 2-7 with a 4.81 ERA in 14 games started. Stephens spent 2015 with the Daytona Tortugas where he compiled a 12-7 record and a career best 2.97 ERA in 26 starts, and he spent 2016 with the Pensacola Blue Wahoos where he went 8-11 with a 3.33 ERA in 27 games (26 starts).
Stephens was initially called up by the Reds at the end of May 2017 as an emergency relief pitcher but did not make an appearance. The Reds then recalled Stephens once again on July 1 to make his major league debut against the Chicago Cubs. Stephens pitched 5.0 innings in his debut, striking out 8. He also had a two RBI single in the 4th to tie the game for the Reds. He was optioned back to Louisville the day after, and was recalled once again in September. In 26 games for Louisville he was 7-10 with a 4.92 ERA, and in seven games for the Reds he compiled a 2-1 record and 4.68 ERA.
Stephens began 2018 in Cincinnati's bullpen. In 29 games, he pitched in 38 1⁄3 innings, holding an ERA of 4.93 with 33 strikeouts. Stephens was outrighted off the Reds roster following the 2019 season. He became a free agent following the 2019 season.
- Medleyjmedley@annistonstar.com, Joe. "Ex-Oxford pitcher Stephens drafted by Reds". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- "Jackson Stephens Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- "Jesse Winker among 7 protected from Rule 5 draft". Retrieved November 19, 2016.
- Rosecrans, C. Trent. "Jackson Stephens Next Cincinnati Reds Rookie To Debut". Cincinnati.com. Gannett. Retrieved 1 July 2017.
- Carrie Muskat and Jeremy Vernon (July 1, 2017). "Stephens uses arm, bat to beat Cubs in debut". www.m.reds.mlb.com. MLB Advanced Media, LP. Retrieved July 1, 2017.
- Matt Eddy (November 7, 2019). "Minor League Free Agents 2019". Baseball America. Retrieved November 8, 2019.