Jack "Jackie" Fennell (6 May 1933 – 3 January 2019) was an English professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1950s and 1960s. He played at representative level for Yorkshire Schoolboys (versus Lancashire Schoolboys on Saturday 24 April 1948), and at club level for Bagley's Recs (a pressed glass factory in Knottingley) and Featherstone Rovers (Heritage № 341), as a goal-kicking fullback, wing, centre or stand-off, i.e. number 1, 2 or 5, 3 or 4, or 6.
|Full name||Jack Fennell|
|Born||6 May 1933|
|Died||3 January 2019(aged 85)|
|Position||Fullback, Wing, Centre, Stand-off|
Jackie Fennell was born in Pontefract, West Riding of Yorkshire, England, he died aged 85, his funeral will take place at Pontefract Crematorium, Wakefield Road, Pontefract at 11:40am on Monday 28 January 2019, followed by a reception at the Featherstone Rovers RLFC.
County Cup Final appearancesEdit
Jackie Fennell played fullback in Featherstone Rovers' 15-14 victory over Hull F.C. in the 1959–60 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1959–60 season at Headingley Rugby Stadium, Leeds on Saturday 31 October 1959, and played fullback in the 0-10 defeat by Halifax in the 1963–64 Yorkshire County Cup Final during the 1963–64 season at Belle Vue, Wakefield on Saturday 2 November 1963.
Jackie Fennell signed for Featherstone Rovers during December 1952, and made his début on Saturday 20 December 1952, he played in the Challenge Cup semi-final three times, losing on each occasion; the 1957–58 Challenge Cup during the 1957–58 season, 1959–60 Challenge Cup during the 1959–60 season, and the 1961–62 Challenge Cup during the 1961–62 season, he played his last match for Featherstone Rovers against Batley during April 1965, he appears to have scored no drop-goals (or field-goals as they are currently known in Australasia), but prior to the 1974–75 season all goals, whether; conversions, penalties, or drop-goals, scored 2-points, consequently prior to this date drop-goals were often not explicitly documented, therefore '0' drop-goals may indicate drop-goals not recorded, rather than no drop-goals scored.
Jackie Fennell's benefit season/testimonial match at Featherstone Rovers took place during the 1962–63 season, including the match against Huddersfield at Post Office Road, Featherstone on Saturday 25 May 1963.
Honoured at Featherstone RoversEdit
Jackie Fennell is a Featherstone Rovers Hall of Fame inductee.
- "Birth details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Rovers Mourn Legend Fennell". rugbyleagueproject.org. 3 January 2019. Retrieved 4 January 2019.
- Bailey, Ron (20 September 2001). Images of Sport - Featherstone Rovers Rugby League Football Club. The History Press. ISBN 0752422952
- "Featherstone Rovers legends added to Hall of Fame". pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk. 5 November 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- "Marriage details at freebmd.org.uk". freebmd.org.uk. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- Search for "Fennell" at rugbyleagueproject.org
- Jackie Fennell and Dale Fennell
- Jackie Fennell
- Why I would never have let my great friend take that final kick
- Featherstone Rovers legends added to Hall of Fame
- (archived by web.archive.org) Jackie Fennell at btinternet.com
- Search for "Jack Fennell" at britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
- Search for "Jackie Fennell" at britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk