J. Robert Spencer
J. Robert Spencer
Robert John Spencer
February 12, 1969 (age 50)
|Occupation||Actor, Voice actor, Singer|
His Broadway debut was as a "swing" in the musical Side Show in 1997. He appeared in the musical Weird Romance in April 2004 at the York Theatre, New York, and the musical God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater in April 2005 at the York Theatre. He went on to star as "Nick Massi" in the original Broadway cast of the musical Jersey Boys (2005).
He starred in the Broadway musical Next to Normal, for which he received a Tony Award nomination as Best Actor in a Musical. He was also in the Arena Stage production (2008) and received a Helen Hayes Award nomination for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Non-Resident Production. He departed the production on May 16, 2010 and was succeeded by original Off-Broadway cast member Brian d'Arcy James.
Spencer starred as Abraham Lincoln in the 2014 New York Musical Theatre Festival production of Bayonets of Angst, a bluegrass musical comedy about the Civil War. Spencer was awarded a New York Musical Theatre Festival Award for Excellence for "Outstanding Individual Performance." 
As a voice actor, Spencer was the voice of Seita in the anime movie, Grave of the Fireflies.
Spencer is married to actress Jenny-Lynn Suckling, and they have two children.
- High Expectations - Worthington
- The Quest - Narrator
| Swing, Side Show
Oct 16, 1997 – Jan 4, 1998
| Nick Massi, Jersey Boys
Oct 14, 2005 – September 14, 2008
Brian d'Arcy James but Spencer originated role for Broadway
| Dan Goodman, Next to Normal
Mar 27, 2009 – May 16, 2010
Brian d'Arcy James
- BWW News Desk."NEXT TO NORMAL'S J. Robert Spencer Receives Honorary Degree From Shenandoah Univ", broadwayworld.com, November 24, 2012
- Weird Romance listing aislesay.com, accessed May 25, 2009
- BWW News Desk."God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater Part Of Musical in Mufti Series Set For April 1, 2 and 3", broadwayworld.com, March 30, 2005
- Arena Stage listing for Next to Normal arena-stage.org, accessed May 25, 2009
- Brian d'Arcy James Will Rejoin Normal Cast in May Archived 2010-04-24 at the Wayback Machine
- Henderson, Kathy.Q&A: J. Robert Spencer broadway.com, April 13, 2009