J. P. V. D. Balsdon
John Percy Vyvian Dacre Balsdon, FBA (4 November 1901 – 18 September 1977), known as J. P. V. D. Balsdon in his academic work and otherwise as Dacre Balsdon, was an English ancient historian and author. He was a Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford from 1927 to 1969, and President of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies from 1968 to 1971.
Balsdon was born on 4 November 1901 in Bideford, Devon. He was educated at Exeter School, Exeter. He studied classics at Exeter College, Oxford. In 1922, he was awarded first class honours in Mods, and in 1924 he was also awarded first class honours in Greats.
Balsdon began his academic career as a teacher at Sedbergh School, then an all boys public boarding school. His first university post was as a Fellow of Keble College, Oxford. From 1927, he was a Fellow of Exeter College, Oxford, where he taught Ancient History. His research was primarily in Roman History. In 1940, he was elected Junior Proctor of Oxford University; serving from March 1940 to March 1941. In 1956, he was a candidate for the Rectorship of Exeter College, but lost out to Kenneth Wheare. He served as President of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies from 1968 to 1971. He retired from full-time academia in 1969. The same year he was elected an emeritus Fellow of Exeter College.
He also wrote novels using the name Dacre Balsdon; his academic works gave his name as J. P. V. D. Balsdon.
As J. P. V. D. Balsdon:
- The Emperor Gaius (Caligula)
- Julius Caesar and Rome
- Roman Women
- Life and Leisure in Ancient Rome
- Rome: the Story of an Empire
- The Romans (editor)
- Romans and Aliens
As Dacre Balsdon:
- Freshman's Folly
- The Day They Burned Miss Termag
- Oxford Life
- Oxford Now and Then
- "Obituary: Dr J. P. V. D. Balsdon". The Times. 21 September 1977. p. 16.
- "University News - Classical Moderations List". The Times. 10 April 1922.
- "University News - Oxford 'Greats' List". The Times. 30 July 1924.
- "BALSDON, Dr (04/11/1901-18/09/1977)". Deceased Fellows. British Academy. Archived from the original on 19 April 2014. Retrieved 17 April 2014.
- Balsdon, John Percy Vyvian Dacre (2002). Life and Leisure in Ancient Rome. ISBN 978-1842125939.
- "University News: Election of Proctors at Oxford". The Times. 22 February 1940. p. 11.
- "University News: Oxford". The Times. 21 October 1969. p. 12.
- Helmbold, Nancy Pearce (January 1968). "Julius Caesar: A Political Biography. J. P. V. D. Balsdon". Classical Philology. 63 (1): 91. doi:10.1086/365342. ISSN 0009-837X.
- Boren, Henry C. (1980). "Review of Romans and Aliens". The American Historical Review. 85 (5): 1179–1180. doi:10.2307/1853262. JSTOR 1853262.
- Millar, Fergus (1980-06-19). "Roman History in Chains". London Review of Books. pp. 17–18. ISSN 0260-9592. Retrieved 2018-07-19.