Ireland national under-20 rugby union team
The Ireland national under-20 rugby team was formed in 2006, having previously been known as the under-21 team. They won the Grand Slam during the 2007 and 2019 Six Nations Under 20s Championship's, and also won the championship in 2010.
|Union||Irish Rugby Football Union|
|Ground(s)||Irish Independent Park (Capacity: 8,008)|
|Captain(s)||Charlie Ryan (2019 U20 WC)|
|Most caps||Dominic Ryan (20)|
Iain Henderson (20)
|Top scorer||Ross Byrne (129)|
|Most tries||Andrew Conway (14)|
| Ireland 17–15 Wales |
(2 February 2007)
| Ireland 51–3 Fiji |
(9 June 2014)
| New Zealand 69–3 Ireland |
(8 June 2017)
|Appearances||12 (First in 2008)|
|Best result||2nd, 2016|
Head coach Noel McNamara named his 28–man squad for the 2019 World Rugby Under 20 Championship on 28 May 2019. Fly-half Harry Byrne, lock Brian Deeny, centre David Hawkshaw, flankers Martin Moloney and Scott Penny and winger Conor Phillips were unavailable due to injury, though Deeny returned from injury in time to feature in the 5th–8th play-off against England later in the tournament.
Centre Seán French and fullback Iwan Hughes were ruled out for the remainder of the tournament after picking up facial and finger injuries respectively in Ireland's opening fixture against England. Leinster's Max O'Reilly and Aaron O'Sullivan were called up as replacements.
Flanker John Hodnett and centre Stewart Moore were also ruled out of the remainder of the tournament after sustaining knee and shoulder injuries respectively in the second pool fixture against Australia. Munster's Luke Clohessy was called up to replace Hodnett, with Leinster's David Ryan replacing Moore.
(Note: all clubs are Irish unless otherwise stated.)
Coaching and managementEdit
|Head Coach||Noel McNamara|
|Forwards Coach||Ambrose Conboy|
|Assistant Coach||Kieran Campbell|
|Team Manager||Hendrik Kruger|
|Athletic Performance Coach||Martin Kennedy|
|Performance Analyst||John Buckley|
|Media & Communications||Sam O'Byrne|
Correct as of 22 June 2019
- Six Nations Under 20s Championship:
- Grand Slam:
- Triple Crown:
- "Ireland Under-20s Complete Grand Slam Mission With Bonus Point Flourish". Irish Rugby. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Ireland U-20 Squad Confirmed Ahead of Departure to Argentina". Irish Rugby. 28 May 2019. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "Moloney absence adds to Ireland U20 injury woes as they head for Argentina". The42. 29 May 2019. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- "Ryan, O'Sullivan And Ward To Start For Ireland Under-20s". Irish Rugby. 16 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Russell And Watters Handed First Ireland U-20 Starts". Irish Rugby. 7 June 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- "Turner To Captain Ireland Under-20s Against Italy". Irish Rugby. 11 June 2019. Retrieved 11 June 2019.
- Ireland U-20 Squad from official IRFU site