Interstate 695 (I-695) is an auxiliary Interstate Highway in the New York City borough of the Bronx. It serves as a connector between I-95 (Bruckner Expressway) and I-295 (Cross Bronx Expressway) near the Throgs Neck Bridge toward Queens and Long Island. I-695 is named the Throgs Neck Expressway.
|Throgs Neck Expressway|
|Auxiliary route of I-95|
|Maintained by NYSDOT|
|Length||1.77 mi (2.85 km)|
|South end||I-295 in Throggs Neck|
|North end||I-95 in Throggs Neck|
I-695 begins at exit 10 on the Cross Bronx Expressway Extension (I-295) in the Throgs Neck section of the Bronx. The highway heads to the northwest, passing through the western fringe of Weir Creek Park before descending into a cut and proceeding into Throgs Neck. Here, it connects to Randall Avenue (southbound) and Lafayette Avenue (northbound) as it makes its way northward. I-695 continues to the northern edge of the neighborhood, where it merges into the Bruckner Expressway (I-95) at its exit 7A.
The Throgs Neck Expressway was completed in 1961 at a cost of $16 million, connecting the Throgs Neck Bridge to the Bruckner Expressway. For years, the highway was considered (and signed as) a spur of I-78, which initially followed all of modern I-295 from the Bruckner Interchange to Hillside Avenue (now New York State Route 25). When this section of I-78 was renumbered to I-295 on January 1, 1970, the Throgs Neck Expressway became a spur of that route. In 1986, the New York State Department of Transportation re-signed the Throgs Neck Expressway as I-695 to avoid driver confusion with the Cross Bronx Expressway Extension, also signed as I-295. The Federal Highway Administration formally recognized I-695 on April 7, 2008, and the number was approved by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials on May 6, 2008.
|0.00||0.00||I-295 south (Cross Bronx Expressway) – Throgs Neck Bridge, Long Island||Exit 10 on I-295|
|0.74||1.19||Randall Avenue||Southbound exit only|
|1.04||1.67||Lafayette Avenue||Northbound exit and entrance|
|1.77||2.85||I-95 north (Bruckner Expressway) – New Haven||Exit 7A on I-95|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- "2008 Traffic Volume Report for New York State" (PDF). New York State Department of Transportation. June 16, 2009. p. 244. Archived from the original (PDF) on September 27, 2012. Retrieved January 31, 2010.
- "Establishment of an Interstate Route I-695" (PDF). American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. April 7, 2008. Retrieved July 18, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Microsoft; Nokia (August 14, 2015). "overview map of Interstate 695" (Map). Bing Maps. Microsoft. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Anderson, Steve. "Throgs Neck Expressway (I-695)". NYCRoads. Retrieved March 18, 2010.
- New York and Metropolitan New York (Map) (1961–62 ed.). Cartography by H.M. Gousha Company. Sunoco. 1961.
- New York State Highways (Map). Cartography by Rand McNally and Company. State of New York Department of Commerce. 1969.
- State of New York Department of Transportation (January 1, 1970). Official Description of Touring Routes in New York State (PDF). Retrieved July 18, 2010.
- "Standing Committee on Highways Approved Decisions of the Special Committee" (MHTML). American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. May 6, 2008. Retrieved July 18, 2010.[permanent dead link]
- "Bronx County Inventory Listing" (CSV). New York State Department of Transportation. August 7, 2015. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Interstate 695 (New York).|