International Internet Preservation Consortium
The International Internet Preservation Consortium is an international organization of libraries and other organizations established to coordinate efforts to preserve internet content for the future. It was founded in July 2003 by 12 participating institutions, and had grown to 35 members by January 2010. As of October 2017, there are 54 members.
|Purpose||Acquire, preserve and make accessible knowledge and information from the Internet for future generations everywhere, promoting global exchange and international relations.|
|Original author(s)||National Library of New Zealand / British Library|
|Initial release||September 2006|
1.6.1 / May 9, 2014
|Type||Selective web harvesting|
|License||Apache License V2.0|
Participating national libraries and archives include:
- Austrian National Library
- Biblioteca Nacional de España
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina
- Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec
- Bibliothèque nationale de France
- British Library
- German National Library
- Library and Archives Canada
- Library of Congress
- National and University Library in Zagreb
- National and University Library of Iceland
- National and University Library of Slovenia
- National Diet Library (Japan)
- National Library of Australia
- National Library of Catalonia
- National Library of Chile
- National Library of China
- National Library of the Czech Republic
- National Library of Estonia
- National Library of Finland
- National Library of Ireland
- National Library of Korea
- National Library of Latvia
- National Library of Luxembourg
- National Library of the Netherlands
- National Library of New Zealand
- National Library of Norway
- National Library of Poland
- National Library of Scotland
- National Library of Serbia
- National Library of Sweden
- National Széchényi Library
- Swiss National Library
- The National Archives (United Kingdom)
- The Royal Danish Library
Other participating organizations include:
- Arquivo.pt - Portuguese Web Archive
- University of California Digital Library
- Columbia University Libraries
- Harvard Library
- Internet Archive
- Institut national de l'audiovisuel
- Los Alamos National Laboratory Research Library
- Library Service Center Baden-Wuerttemberg
- National Library Board of Singapore
- Netherlands Institute for Sound and Vision
- Old Dominion University Department of Computer Science
- Organisation Information Archivierung (OIA)
- Stanford University Libraries
- University Library, Bratislava
- UCLA Research Library
- University of North Texas Libraries
WebCite used to be, but is no longer, a member of the IIPC. In a 2012 message, its founder Gunther Eysenbach commented that "WebCite has no funding, and IIPC charges 4000 Euro/yr in membership fees."
The IIPC sponsors and collaborates on a number of different projects with its member organizations.
- Collaborative Collections: IIPC members are collaborating to build public web archive collections based on transnational themes or events of mutual interest. Topics of existing collections include: European Refugee Crisis ; International Cooperation Organizations; Olympics; World War I Commemoration.
- Memento: aggregate metadata of the IIPC archives and provide access to Memento.
Starting in 2006, the National Library of New Zealand and the British Library developed the Web Curator Tool, an open source workflow management system for selective web archiving. Version 1.6 was released on December 5, 2012, and is available at SourceForge. The Web Curator Tool is built upon Java technologies such as Apache Tomcat, the Spring Framework and Hibernate, and Internet Archives technologies such as the Heritrix web archiving crawler, the NutchWAX web archive full-text search engine and the Wayback Machine.
- IIPC Web Archiving Doctoral Support Award: grant to provide three years of funding for a student to earn a PhD in Interdisciplinary Information Science at The University of North Texas College of Information.
- IIPC Member Staff Exchange: onsite training by experts for participating IIPC members to use Heritrix 3 web crawler.
- Working group on Statistics and Quality Indicators for Web Archiving: development of guidelines on the management and evaluation of Web archiving activities and products.
- "Mission & Goals | IIPC". www.netpreserve.org. International Internet Preservation Consortium.
- "International Internet Preservation Consortium" (Press release). International Internet Preservation Consortium. May 5, 2004. Archived from the original on May 1, 2012.
- "Web Archives Registry Launched". News & Events. Library of Congress. January 29, 2010. Archived from the original on April 8, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- Hiiragi, Wasuke; Shigeo Sugimoto; Tetsuo Sakaguchi. "Web archiving in the world - International Internet Preservation Consortium (IIPC) and their activities". The Journal of Information Science and Technology Association. Japan. 58 (8).
- "Members". International Internet Preservation Consortium. 2017.
- "WebCite Consortium FAQ". webcitation.org. WebCite. Archived from the original on 2008-08-28.
- "Twitter post". 2012-06-11. Archived from the original on 2013-03-10. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "Collaborative Collections". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- "Memento". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Web Curators Mailing List". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Archived from the original on 2014-01-25. Retrieved 2017-10-17.
- "2010 Winter Olympics". California Digital Library. 2010. Archived from the original on 2011-09-02.
- "Web Curator Tool". National Library of New Zealand. Archived from the original on 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "The Web Curator Tool Release History". SourceForge. Archived from the original on 2013-02-27. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- "British Library - Developing Enhancements to the Web Curator Tool". Oakleigh Consulting. Retrieved 2011-04-17.
- "PhD Sponsorship". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Archived from the original on 17 October 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Staff Exchange". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Archived from the original on 7 November 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Statistics and Quality Indicators for Web Archiving". International Internet Preservation Consortium. Archived from the original on 7 November 2014. Retrieved 17 March 2014.