International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences is a biennial conference discussing topics of heraldic and genealogical interest. The Congress brings together scholars and other interested persons from all the nations of Europe and from many countries around the world. The first Congress was held in Barcelona in 1929; at the second Congress, held in 1953, it was decided that future meetings would be held every two years (there have been two exceptions).
|International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences|
|Sponsor||International Academy of Genealogy, International Academy of Heraldry|
Memorable 22nd Congress held in Ottawa in 1996 "for the first time beyond the birthplace of modern scientific studies in genealogy and heraldry" had Honourable Roméo LeBlanc, Governor General of Canada and his wife Her Excellency Mrs Diana Fowler LeBlanc as its patrons.The 2006 congress in St. Andrews, had The Princess Royal as its patron, and the 2008 congress in Quebec City had Michaëlle Jean, Governor General of Canada as its patron.
The main themes of the Congresses have changed greatly over the years, and some disciplines have ceased to form any part of the Congresses' study. Abandoned subjects include sphragistics and iconography, which were dealt with at Paris, and vexillology, which was to have been one of the themes at Congresses after Bern. Genetics, which had been a subject of discussion at Stockholm in 1960, did not reappear until the Ottawa Congress of 1996. Chivalric orders were another discarded subject, despite featuring in the congresses held at Rome/Naples, Madrid, Stockholm and Edinburgh, as well as in a few papers presented at Madrid in 1982.
List of congressesEdit
Over the years the meeting have been held in different cities:
|XXVIII||Quebec||2008||23–27 June||The Meeting of Two Worlds, Quest or Conquest|
|XXIX||Stuttgart||2010||12–17 September||Identity in Genealogy and Heraldry|
|XXX||Maastricht||2012||24–28 September||Frontiers in Genealogy and Heraldry|
|XXXI||Oslo||2014||13–17 August||Influence on Genealogy and Heraldry of Major Events in the History of a Nation|
|XXXII||Glasgow||2016||10–14 August||Origins and Evolution|
|XXXIII||Arras||2018||2-5 October||Genealogy and Heraldry, between War and Peace|
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2011-06-06.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) ISBN 978-0-7766-0472-5 Boudreau,Claire.Vachon,Auguste.Cogné,Daniel."Genealogica & Heraldica .Proceedings of the 22nd International Congress of Genealogical and heraldic Sciences in Ottawa from August 18 to 23,1996 .Message from his Excellency the Right Honourable Roméo LeBlanc, Governor of Canada,Patron of the 22nd Congress". p.21
- "Castle in the Clouds: 25th International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences". homepage.eircom.net.
- Fraser, W Neil (2008). "Heraldry, 28th International Congress on Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences". Electric Scotland. Alastair McIntyre. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "The Quebec Congress" (PDF). The Heraldry Gazette. Guildford, England: The Heraldry Society: 8. 2 December 2008. ISSN 0437-2980. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 December 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
XVIII Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Quebec from 23–27 June 2008. The congress was entitled 'The Meeting of Two Worlds: Quest or Conquest
- "Court Activity 2010". The Court of the Lord Lyon. Archived from the original on 29 January 2013. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
Ormond Pursuivant attended the International Congress of Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences held in Stuttgart in September
- Heimbach, Harald. "Identity in Genealogy and Heraldry". XXIX. Internationaler Kongreß der Genealogischen und Heraldischen Wissenschaften. PRO HERALDICA - Deutsche Forschungsgesellschaft für Heraldik und Genealogie mbH. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "His Royal Highness Prince Willem-Alexander of Oranje Attends the 30th International Congress Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences Conference". The Royal Correspondent. 24 September 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Frontiers in Genealogy and Heraldry". XXXth International Congress for genealogical and heraldic Sciences. The Hague, Netherlands: Centraal Bureau Voor Genealogie. 21 June 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.
- "Influence on Genealogy and Heraldry of Major Events in the History of a Nation". XXXIst International Congress for Genealogical and Heraldic Sciences. Oslo, Norway: Norsk Forening for Genealogi og Heraldikk. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 30 March 2014.
- "congress web 2014". Archived from the original on 2014-08-19. Retrieved 2014-03-31.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-09-28. Retrieved 2011-09-05.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Congress 2016". www.congress2016.scot.
- "Epilogue". Congress 2016 Glasgow. Retrieved 2019-12-15.