Indonesian Broadcasting Commission
Indonesian Broadcasting Commission (Indonesian: Komisi Penyiaran Indonesia, abbreviated as KPI) is an independent broadcasting agency in Indonesia that functions as a regulating body for broadcasting companies in the country. The commission was established in 2002 based on Act No. 32 of 2002 on Broadcasting. KPI consists of institutions of the Central Indonesian Broadcasting Commission (KPI Pusat) and the Regional Indonesian Broadcasting Commission (KPID) who work in the provincial level.
|Komisi Penyiaran Indonesia|
|Headquarters||Jl. Djuanda No. 36, Jakarta, Indonesia|
The predecessor of today's KPI was the National Broadcasting Advisory and Control Agency (Badan Pertimbangan dan Pengendalian Penyiaran Nasional, or BP3N), created upon the provision of Act No. 24 of 1997 on Broadcasting, but it was not come into formation.
The succeding Act No. 32 of 2002 on Broadcasting is the main basis for the establishment of the KPI. The broadcasting system is managed by an independent body free from any influence of the financiers, powerful people and political institutions such as the government. In comparison, Section 7 of the former Act No. 24 of 1997 on Broadcasting states that "broadcasting is dominated by the country's structure and operations are undertaken by the government", indicating that the broadcasting agency was subject to the government of Indonesia.
Indonesia's democratization process puts the public as both owner and controller of the broadcasting sphere industry. This is because the frequencies are public property and limited in nature; their use should be for the greater public interest. This means that the media broadcasting services must perform the function of provision of information for public health. The information is varied, ranging from news, entertainment, science, etc. The healthy function of information services, as set out in Act No. 32 of 2002, is based on the principles of diversity of ownership and diversity of content.
- In September 2014, five cartoons, namely Tom and Jerry, SpongeBob SquarePants, Crayon Shinchan, Little Krishna and Bima Sakti (Indonesian name of Chhota Bheem) which air on RCTI, Global TV (now GTV), and ANTV, were reprimanded by KPI after being considered to contain violence, pornography and material unsuitable for children.
- In December 2018, a Shopee ad featuring South Korean girlband Blackpink was prohibited by KPI for the members wearing little clothing.
- In September 2019, Rabbids Invasion segments of the "SpongeBob SquarePants" show airing on GTV were reprimanded by KPI for containing violent scenes. However, this caused public outcry and was somewhat inaccurate.
- In late January 2021, KPI imposed sanctions on ANTV after airing foreign shows exceeding the limit of 40% in a day.
- "Cegah Keributan, KPI Minta TV dan Radio Berikan Edukasi Soal Quick Count". TribunStyle.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Times, Asia. "Asia Times | Ed Sheeran song too 'pornographic' for Indonesia | Article". Asia Times. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Post, The Jakarta. "Broadcasting companies must focus on real count: KPI". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Pov, Piseth (2019-04-22). "Indonesia morning news for April 22". AEC News Today. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "MUI Mendesak KPI Menghentikan Tayangan Quick Count". SINDOnews.com (in Indonesian). Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- "Law of the Republic of Indonesia Number 32 of 2002 on Broadcasting" (PDF). Jaringan Dokumentasi dan Informasi Hukum. Retrieved 19 April 2021.
- Indonesia, Komisi Penyiaran (2009). Pedoman perilaku penyiaran (P3) & standar program siaran (SPS) (in Indonesian). Komisi Penyiaran Indonesia.
- hermesauto (2018-12-12). "Indonesia's broadcasting commission calls on TV stations to pull racy K-pop ad". The Straits Times. Retrieved 2019-04-24.
- Panuju, Redi (2017-02-01). Sistem Penyiaran Indonesia (in Indonesian). Kencana. ISBN 9786021186985.
- "Serial Kartun TV yang Dilarang di Indonesia". Liputan 6. September 29, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Kena Tegur KPI, Spongebob Dibela Para Netizen". Detik.com. September 16, 2019. Retrieved February 23, 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Siaran Program Asing Melewati Batas Maksimum, KPI Beri Sanksi ke ANTV". TabloidBintang.com. January 30, 2021. Retrieved February 24, 2021. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)