IIFL Holdings Limited (formerly India Infoline Limited) d/b/a IIFL and India Infoline, is an Indian diversified financial services company headquartered in Mumbai. The organisation was founded by Nirmal Jain. IIFL and its group companies are backed by Canadian investor Prem Watsa, private equity firm General Atlantic and CDC Group, the UK Government's private equity arm. IIFL is ranked among the top seven financial conglomerates in India  and as the top independent financial services firm in India in terms of market capitalisation. Nirmal Jain is the Chairman of the group, while R Venkataraman is the Group Managing Director and Co-Promoter.
|India Infoline Limited|
Number of employees
History and Overview - IIFL GroupEdit
IIFL was founded on Oct 17, 1995 by Nirmal Jain , a 1986 graduate from University of Mumbai and an alumnus of Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad. Jain is among the few successful entrepreneurs post the economic liberalisation era in India ushered by PV Narasimha Rao. Jain was previously employed with Hindustan Lever Limited. The company was founded as Probity Research and Services Private Limited which provided research on the Indian economy, businesses and corporates. The name was later changed to India Infoline Limited.
A few years into the business, the organisation found itself with clients which included research organisations, banks and corporates. They then began launching their research products to become more noticeable in the market. In the meanwhile, the dotcom revolution was beginning to take place in India. The website was created in 1999.
Taking the business one step ahead this group of consultants opened a trading portal – www.5paisa.com –in 2000 thus moved into the business of being a full service broking agency. During this time they widened their distribution network.
In 2001, the Indian dotcom industry saw a downfall. During this time, sustaining became tough. The organisation then decided to tie-up with leading Life Insurance company ICICI Prudential, thus putting to use its distribution network and becoming India's first corporate agent for insurance.
Today, IIFL Holdings Limited (Bloomberg Code: IIFL IN, NSE: IIFL, BSE: 532636) is India’s leading integrated financial services group with diverse operating businesses, mainly Non Banking and Housing Finance, Wealth and Asset Management, Broking, Financial Product Distribution, Investment Banking, Institutional Equities, Realty and Property Advisory Services.
IIFL Holdings has a consolidated net-worth of over Rs 45 billion; global presence in Canada, United States, UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, Switzerland, Mauritius, and UAE; An employee workforce of over 10,500, a strong network of over 2,250 service locations spread across India, over Rs 233 billion loan assets under management; over Rs 1,250 bn wealth assets under advice, management and distribution; over 500 stocks under research and more than 300 of the world’s top institutional investors relying on IIFL's research.
Involvement in NSEL caseEdit
IIFL along with few other top brokers have been accused of various irregularities on NSEL. Agencies including EOW-Mumbai and SFIO have found the top 5 brokers including IIFL guilty of misselling NSEL contracts, KYC manipulation, client code modification, benami transactions & infusion of black money through their NBFCs on the Exchange platform. The EOW had arrested senior employees of three brokerages namely IIFL, Motilal Oswal & Anand Rathi in March, 2015. This was followed by the market regulator, SEBI issuing multiple show-cause notices to the brokers in 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 respectively. The EOW-Mumbai in its supplementary charge sheet has also accused the three brokerages IIFL, Motilal Oswal & Anand Rathi of cheating clients. Based on the recommendations of SFIO & EOW’s report against misdeeds of brokers, the market regulator is expected to declare the top 5 brokers (IIFL, Motilal Oswal, Anand Rathi, Geofin Comtrade & Philip Capital) ‘not fit & proper’ to operate in the markets.
Awards and recognitionEdit
IIFL has been awarded by Euromoney for the Best Private Banking Services Overall in India for 2017. It has also been adjudged as the Best Private Bank in India at the Global Finance Best Private Bank Awards in 2017.
- "IIFL Holdings Limited: Private Company Information". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-09-08.
- "How IIFL Chairman Nirmal Jain became a billionaire by serving the new rich". business-standard.com. Retrieved 27 April 2018.
- "IIFL Annual Report 2016" (PDF). indiainfoline.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "Nirmal Jain Profile". www.economictimes.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "Nirmal Jain Chairman/Founder IIFL Profile". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "The rise of Indian financial conglomerates". www.livemint.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "What makes investors trust their money with these 5 financial supermarkets of India". www.economictimes.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- "IIFL Holdings History - IIFL Holdings Information - The Economic Times". economictimes.indiatimes.com.
- "From IIM to Dalal Street: A Tale of Two Batchmates, Rasheesh Shah and Nirmal Jain". www.economictimes.com. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- Sinha, Shilpy (14 September 2016). "What makes investors trust their money with these 5 financial supermarkets of India" – via The Economic Times.
- "5paisa.com redefines Online Investments with innovative offering in Discount Broking, Mutual Funds and Insurance". 27 July 2016 – via The Economic Times.
- Mascarenhas, Rajesh (2 November 2016). "5Paisa going places, Street debut comes next" – via The Economic Times.
- "IIFL:Natl India Stock Quote - IIFL Holdings Ltd". Bloomberg.com.
- "NSE:IIFL - Google Search". www.google.com.
- "Untitled Page". www.bseindia.com.
- "LinkedIn". www.linkedin.com.
- "IIFL Holdings Share Price Live, IIFL Holdings Stock Price Today". The Economic Times.
- "IIFL Capital". iiflcap.com.
- "IIFL Institutional Equities: Latest News & Videos, Photos about IIFL Institutional Equities - The Economic Times". The Economic Times.
- "Iifl Institutional Equities - Latest & Breaking News on Iifl Institutional Equities - Photos, Videos, Breaking Stories and Articles on Iifl Institutional Equities". Moneycontrol.
- "NSEL scam: 2015 police report gives SEBI fresh ammo against brokers". The Hindu Business Line.
- "Euromoney". Euromoney.
- "Global Finance Magazine - Global Finance Names The World's Best Private Banks 2017". Global Finance Magazine.
- "Asiamoney Best Bank Awards 2017: India". Euromoney.
- 20, Apr; 2017; Ist, 06 35 Pm. "Dealing room heroes at IIFL - The Economic Times Video - ET Now" – via economictimes.indiatimes.com.