In the Cool of the Day
In the Cool of the Day is a 1963 British-American romantic drama film released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in Metrocolor and Panavision. The film is directed by Robert Stevens and starring Peter Finch, Jane Fonda, Angela Lansbury, Arthur Hill, and Constance Cummings; with Nigel Davenport, and John Le Mesurier. It was made on locations in London, Greece and at MGM-British Studios, Borehamwood, Herts.
|In the Cool of the Day|
|Directed by||Robert Stevens|
|Produced by||John Houseman|
|Written by||Susan Ertz (novel)|
Meade Roberts (writer)
|Music by||Francis Chagrin|
|Edited by||Thomas Stanford|
On the January 19, 2018 episode of Watch What Happens Live Fonda stated it was the worst film she'd ever made and she wished it had never been filmed; so bad, in fact, she wasn't even certain if it had been released. 
Christine Bonner (Fonda) is a beautiful young American woman with chronic health problems. She has been separated from her adoring but overly protective husband Sam (Hill), but agrees to return to him. She meets an English friend of Sam's, Murray Logan (Finch), who shares her great interest in Greece. Logan also is unhappily married because his wife, Sybil (Lansbury), blames him for an automobile accident that scarred her and killed their son. Christine and Murray meet again in England and their attraction grows.
The two couples plan to vacation together in Greece, but Sam must stay home because of a family illness. Murray and Christine fall in love as they visit Greek ruins and other tourist attractions. Sybil realizes what is happening and writes Sam in New York. She then tells Murray she is leaving him, running off to the Riviera for a fling with an Englishman (Davenport) she met in Greece. She tells Christine “he’s all yours.”
Hearing that Christine’s controlling mother is pursuing them, they continue their travels, eventually making love. Christine’s mother finds them and takes her away. Christine falls ill from the stress and exertion and, according to Sam, refuses to fight for her life. Before dying, Christine tells Murray she did not want him to have to deal with her chronic illness. She makes Murray promise to do what they would have done together. He continues his travels in Greece.
- Peter Finch as Murray Logan
- Jane Fonda as Christine Bonner
- Angela Lansbury as Sybil Logan
- Arthur Hill as Sam Bonner
- Constance Cummings as Mrs. Nina Gellert
- Alexander Knox as Frederick Bonner
- Nigel Davenport as Leonard Groves
- John Le Mesurier as Dr. Arraman
- Alec McCowen as Dickie Bayliss
- Valerie Taylor as Lily Kendrick
- Andreas Markos as Andreas
- "In the Cool of the Day (1963) - Robert Stevens | Cast and Crew". AllMovie.
- "AFI|Catalog". catalog.afi.com.
- "In the Cool of the Day (1963)". BFI.
- "After Show: Jane Fonda And Lily Tomlin's Most Annoying Habits | WWHL" – via www.youtube.com.
- "In the Cool of the Day (1963)". TCM.com. Retrieved October 7, 2014.