inMusic is an American enterprise that is the parent company for a family of brands of varying audio products used in the DJ, music production, live sound, musical instrument, pro audio, software, stage lighting, and consumer electronics industries. The company's corporate headquarters are located in Cumberland, Rhode Island, with additional offices in Canada, Germany, United Kingdom, Taiwan, Japan and Bulgaria.
Number of locations
|Products||Music production equipment|
In 1992, future inMusic founder and CEO Jack O’Donnell was working as Vice President of Sales at Stanton Magnetics when he learned the assets of Numark Electronics were available for purchase. Founded in Edison, New Jersey in 1971, Numark was among the earliest DJ equipment manufacturers, and responsible for innovations like the first DJ mixer with a built-in sampler (the DM1775) and the first dual-well CD player (the CD-5020). O’Donnell proposed to Stanton management that they should acquire Numark's assets, but they chose not to, and O’Donnell decided to resign from his position at Stanton and purchase Numark himself.
Alesis and more acquisitionsEdit
Under O’Donnell's management, Numark recovered and grew, and he found himself looking for new opportunities. In 2001 O’Donnell acquired Alesis, a company that had established itself in the recording market with affordable effects and later the revolutionary ADAT digital tape recorder, as well as drum machines and synthesizers. The following year he introduced the ION Audio brand, focused on entry-level and consumer electronics products.
In 2005, O’Donnell purchased the Akai Professional Musical Instrument division (previously spun off from Akai Electronics). His company additionally acquired DJ software brand Mixmeister in 2007 and Alto Professional in 2010.
In February 2012 O’Donnell acquired software synthesizer company Sonivox, and in July of the same year, he acquired M-Audio and the AIR Software Group from Avid Technology, Inc. for $17 million.
In May 2018, the inMusic company Denon DJ acquired SoundSwitch.
- "About inMusic". inMusic. inMusic Brands. 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "A Brief History of the DJ Mixer". Medium.com. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- Eisenberg, Anne. "For Disc Jockeys as Well as Desk Jockeys" The New York Times, January 20, 2008. Retrieved on December 3, 2013.
- "At home and a DJ without the vinyl" The New York Times, August 23, 2007. Retrieved on December 3, 2013.
- "Company Overview of Numark Industries, LP" Businessweek Retrieved on December 3, 2013.
- "Interview: Jack O'Donnell, Numark - English Version". Amazona.de. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Jack O'Donnell - owner of Alesis and Numark" Pro Music News 2001. Retrieved on December 3, 2013.
- "Interview, Jack O'Donnell, Owner of U.S. Audio Specialists Numark & Alesis". GaryCooper.biz. MI Professional. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Alto Professional Names Jay Schlabs To The Position Of Executive Director". Pro Sound Web. EH Publishing. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Jack O'Donnell Acquires Sonivox". Electronic Musician. Future plc. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "inMusic's O'Donnell on how technology is "democratizing" music making". The Music Trades. The Music Trades Corporation. Retrieved 9 January 2019.
- "Avid sells M-Audio and AIR lines to Numark/Akai parent". Pro Sound News Europe. Pro Sound News. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "inMusic targets installation after D&M Professional deal". Pro Sound News Europe. Pro Sound News. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Marq Lighting Unveils Initial Product Lineup at DJ Expo". DJ Times. Testa Communications. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Rane set to join Numark and Denon DJ in the inMusic Stable". MusicRadar.com. Future plc. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "New HeadRush brand launches pedalboard with touchscreen". Sound On Sound. SOS Publications Group. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Denon DJ Acquires New Zealand-Based Tech Company, SoundSwitch". DJ Times. Testa Communications. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "inMusic - Home of the world's premier music industry brands". www.inmusicbrands.com. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "inMusic Announces Acquisition of Stanton From Gibson Brands". DJ Times. 2020-05-21. Retrieved 2020-06-19.
- "Gibson sells turntable, audio gear unit". NashvillePost. 2020-06-03. Retrieved 2020-06-19.