ISO 7010 is an International Organization for Standardization technical standard for graphical symbols on hazard and warning signs, including those indicating emergency exits and safety signs. It uses colours and principles set out in ISO 3864 for these symbols, and is intended to provide "safety information that relies as little as possible on the use of words to achieve understanding." It is distinct from the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals specified by the United Nations to standardise hazardous material classification and labelling.
As of July 2018[update], the latest version is ISO 7010:2011. This is under review to be replaced with new standard ISO/DIS 7010, which also incorporates water safety signs and beach safety flags previously specified in ISO 20712.
Shape and colour of sign typesEdit
ISO 7010 specifies five combinations of shape and colour to distinguish between the type of information presented.
|Sign type||Meaning||Colour (per ISO 7010)||Shape||Example|
|Prohibition sign||Prohibition||Red||Circle with diagonal line||No open flame|
|Mandatory sign||Must do||Blue||Circle||Use hearing protection|
|Warning sign||Warn of hazard||Yellow||Equilateral triangle with rounded corners||Explosive materials|
|Safe Condition sign||Safety equipment & exits||Green||Square or rectangular||Emergency Assembly Point|
|Fire Safety sign||Fire Protection||Red||Square||Fire Extinguisher|
List of ISO 7010 symbolsEdit
These are the official numbers and titles of ISO 7010-2011 safety signs.
- Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals
- ISO 3864 – Safety colors and safety signs
- ISO 7001 – Public Information Symbols
- "ISO 7010:2011 — Graphical symbols — Safety colours and safety signs — Registered safety signs". ISO Online Browsing Platform (OBP). International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "ISO/DIS 7010 — Graphical symbols — Safety colours and safety signs — Registered safety signs". www.iso.org. International Organization for Standization. Retrieved 2018-07-14.
- "ISO 7010 Safety Signs Guide Book" (PDF). Brady Corporation. 2017-01-12.
- International Organization for Standardization (March 2011). "ISO 3864-4:2011". Retrieved 4 April 2018.
- International Standards Organization. "ISO Online Browsing Platform". ISO Online Browsing Platform. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to ISO 7010 safety signs.|