"I'm Out" is a song recorded by American recording artist Ciara, for her eponymously titled fifth studio album (2013), featuring guest vocals from Trinidadian rapper Nicki Minaj. It was written by Ciara, Minaj and Rock City brothers, Timothy and Theron Thomas. Rocky City and The Co-Captains provided production. "I'm Out" made its premiere on May 22, 2013 on Ciara's official SoundCloud account and was serviced to urban radio in the United States on June 3, 2013 as the second single from Ciara through Epic Records. Lyrically, it incorporates themes of breakups and making an ex-boyfriend regret leaving.
|Single by Ciara featuring Nicki Minaj|
|from the album Ciara|
|Released||June 3, 2013(radio)|
|Ciara singles chronology|
|Nicki Minaj singles chronology|
"I'm Out" was met with general acclaim from music critics, with some praising Ciara for returning to "her ghetto origins" and being "defiant and strong" on the single, while one even called it an "essential" and the album's "best cut." Upon release, the single debuted at number 50 making a "hot shot debut" on the US Billboard Hot 100 and number fifty-four on the UK Singles Chart. The song also made appearances on the Australian, Canadian and German charts.
The song's music video was directed by Hannah Lux Davis and depicts strong choreography with Ciara taking influence from "Scream", performed by Michael and Janet Jackson. The video premiered live at the BET Awards Pre Show on June 30, 2013 followed by a live performance of the song alongside Nicki Minaj. The song was further promoted by performances on Jimmy Kimmel Live!, Good Morning America and BET's 106 & Park.
Background and releaseEdit
After collaborating with Nicki Minaj on the song "I'm Legit" for Minaj's album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up, Minaj agreed to appear on Ciara's album in return. Originally, the duo had worked on just one collaboration for Ciara called "I'm Out." Speaking about Minaj's version on the song, Ciara said, "The energy of the record is so dope, and it's really for the ladies, and Nicki she just killed the verse. She literally murdered it, like she got that throw-back, that thing that she does that's so special. She went in." Having enjoyed the process Minaj said, "I was supposed to only do one song for her album and I think I'm going to end up doing two. I just love what she's doing and I'm so proud and I'm really excited for people to hear it." In April, Ciara confirmed that Minaj was finished with a second record for the album; in an interview with MTV News, Ciara said, "She's actually finishing up one now that's really it's a monster too. The moments that we have had so far have just been crazy. It's just been magical, it's been something special and I feel like the fans have always wanted to see she and I rock together." "I'm Out" premiered on May 22, 2013 via Ciara's official SoundCloud account. It was officially sent to urban radio in the US on June 3, 2013. Additionally, it was the most added song at Canadian urban radio stations on June 7, 2013. "I'm Out" was released in the United Kingdom on July 8, 2013.
"I'm Out" is a electro-R&B song. That features American rapper Nicki Minaj and was produced by The Co-Captains. It has a "fierce clapping beat" and a "sweet pop chorus", and features a "loud and bass-heavy" sound. MTV Buzzworthy called the song a "energetic, clap-laced, synth-laden track". The song opens with a "gritty opening verse" and "aggressive bars" from Minaj followed by Ciara lyrically speaking on the subject of going through a breakup and making her ex-boyfriend regret leaving her. The verse for the song introduces the concept "If you know that you better than the new girl that he on, go 'head and tell him now you gon' miss me when I'm gone". Entertainment Weekly described it as a type of electro-kissed swaggering sass factory that makes for a great summer jam.
Analy Dewa from Metacritic praised "I'm Out" for representing "her ghetto origins", whilst The Observer from metric called the song "indomitable" and felt that "I'm Out" "powers this album". Mikael Wood of the Los Angeles Times found "I'm Out" to be a particular highlight compared to the other songs from the album, saying the rest of the album had a mellow sound compared to those tracks; he ultimately praised Ciara for not playing it safe, however, seeing her adventurous with both lyrics and production. Allmusic rated the song four out of five stars.The Boston Globe's Ken Capobianco called the single an "essential" continuing to call the song the "best cut" adding Ciara "proves, CiCi can be defiant and strong" 
On the chart issue dated July 20, 2013, "I'm Out" debuted on the US Billboard Hot 100 at number 50, the top new entry of the week, it move 6 spots to number 44. It also debuted at number sixteen on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The same day, "I'm Out" debuted in the UK at number fifty-four on the UK Singles Chart. The song also charted at number twelve on the UK R&B Chart.
Nicki Minaj revealed via her official Twitter account that Ciara and Minaj had begun filming the video and it would be directed by Hannah Lux Davis, Minaj continued to reveal that "the tone of the video will be very edgy, sexy and playful". The music video was filmed from June 1 and June 2, 2013 in New York. On June 25, 2013, Ciara played a preview of the songs video on Access Hollywood Live. The video premiered on June 30, 2013 at the BET Awards red carpet.
The music video begins with Ciara singing the song, showing only her red lips moving and a grill. Then Ciara and Minaj, sporting all white ensembles in an all-white room, perform synchronized dance moves. The scenes are split up with images of Ciara wearing a grill. The following scene sees Ciara long with back up dancers "channeling vintage Marilyn in white with blonde waves" this is followed by Ciara and dancers in the club. The video then moves to Ciara under a fountain "drenched" before returning to the original scene of her and Minaj twerking and doing other sensual moves together.
Ciara first performed the song during her mini-concert at Jimmy Kimmel Live!. She performed the song as part of her setlist at L.A Gay Pride and her show at Musicalize on London O2 Arena. Ciara performed the song at the BET Awards on June 30, 2013 alongside Nicki Minaj. On July 9, 2013 Ciara performed the song on Good Morning America. Later that day, she performed the song on BET's 106 & Park, continuing her week-long takeover.
Credits and personnelEdit
|Australia Urban (ARIA)||7|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||86|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||31|
|Belgium (Ultratip Wallonia)||39|
|Hungary (Single Top 40)||8|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||54|
|UK R&B (Official Charts Company)||1|
|US Billboard Hot 100||44|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (Billboard)||13|
|US Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||98|
- Markman, Rob (2013-04-26). "Nicki Minaj Killed Ciara's 'I'm Out'". MTV News (MTV: Viacom). Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- Markman, Rob (2013-04-26). "Nicki Minaj Channels Her Mixtape Self On Collabo With Future". MTV News (MTV: Viacom). Retrieved 2013-04-28.
- "New Music: Ciara f/ Nicki Minaj – 'I'm Out'". Rap-Up.com. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Frequency News". Frequency News. 2013-06-03. Archived from the original on 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Canada Urban National Airplay". Radio and Records & Nielsen BDS. 2012-06-07. Archived from the original on 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-06-12.
- "This week's new releases 08-07-2013". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- Bierly, Mandi (2013-05-23). "Ciara tosses Nicki Minaj-featured 'I'm Out' | The Music Mix | EW.com". Music-mix.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Sam Lansky (2013-05-22). "Ciara & Nicki Minaj's "I'm Out": Hear Their New Ladies' Anthem | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Ciara & Nicki Minaj "I'm Out" (NEW MUSIC)". Global Grind. 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "New Song: Ciara Featuring Nicki Minaj, 'I'm Out' (NSFW)". Buzzworthy.mtv.com. 2013-05-23. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Dionne, Zach (2013-06-25). "Ciara's Nicki Minaj Track 'I'm Out' Is Massive". Vulture. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Franich, Darren (2013-05-23). "Ciara tosses Nicki Minaj-featured 'I'm Out' | The Music Mix | EW.com". Music-mix.ew.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Wood, Mikael (2013-07-08). "Review: Ciara mellows out in her self-titled fifth album". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 9, 2013.
- By Ken Capobianco. "ALBUM REVIEW: Ciara, 'Ciara' - Music". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- "Official UK Singles Top 100". Archived from the original on July 15, 2013. Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "R&B Singles Top 40". Retrieved July 15, 2013.
- "News | Ciara and Nicki Minaj Shoot 'I'm Out' Music Video". Singersroom. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- User (2013-06-02). "Nicki Minaj". Mypinkfriday.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Sneak Peek: Ciara f/ Nicki Minaj – 'I'm Out'". Rap-Up.com. 2013-06-25. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Mariah Carey, Nicki Minaj, & Ciara to Perform at BET Awards". Rap-Up.com. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Boardman, Madeline (2013-07-01). "Ciara's 'I'm Out' Video Has The Singer Getting Down With Nicki Minaj". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- Sam Lansky (2013-07-01). "Ciara & Nicki Minaj's "I'm Out" Video: Watch The Sexy Clip | Music News, Reviews, and Gossip on". Idolator.com. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Ciara and Nicki Minaj Perform at BET Awards". Rap-Up.com. 2013-06-30. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Ciara Performs 'I'm Out' on 'GMA'". Rap-Up.com. 2010-10-18. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Australian-charts.com – Ciara feat. Nicki Minaj – I'm Out". ARIA Top 50 Singles. Retrieved July 20, 2013.
- "ARIA Urban Singles Chart". Australian Recording Industry Association. July 22, 2013. Archived from the original on August 23, 2015.
- "Ultratop.be – Ciara feat. Nicki Minaj – I'm Out" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Ciara feat. Nicki Minaj – I'm Out" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Lescharts.com – Ciara feat. Nicki Minaj – I'm Out" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company. Retrieved July 14, 2013.
- "Ciara Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- "Ciara Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.