Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. (HHI; Korean: 현대중공업 주식회사; RR: Hyeondae Junggongeop Jusik Hoesa) is the world's largest shipbuilding company and a major heavy equipment manufacturer. Its headquarters are in Ulsan, South Korea.
|Founded||ex HHI (now KSOE)|
|Parent||Korea Shipbuilding & Offshore Engineering (KSOE)|
|Hyundai Heavy Industries|
|Revised Romanization||Hyeondae Junggongeop|
HHI was founded in 1972 by Chung Ju-yung as a division of the Hyundai Group, and in 1974, completed building its first ships. In 2002, the company was spun-off from its parent company. HHI has four core business divisions: Shipbuilding, Offshore & Engineering, Industrial Plant & Engineering, and Engine & Machinery. HHI also has five non-core related subsidiaries: Hyundai Electric & Energy Systems, Hyundai Construction Equipment, Hyundai Robotics, Hyundai Heavy Industries Green Energy, and Hyundai Global Service.
The Hyundai Group started as a small South Korean construction firm in 1947, headed by its founder, Korean entrepreneur Chung Ju-yung. Another widely known and closely related Korean company, the Hyundai Motor Company, was founded in 1967, five years prior to the founding of the Heavy Industry Group. The motor company was also founded by Chung.
The name is an informal romanisation of the Korean 현대 (hyeondae) meaning "contemporary", which was Chung's vision for the group of companies that he founded.
- Crude oil tankers (Very Large Crude Carriers)
- Shipping container carrier ships
- Shipping exclusive container carrier cranes
- Oil and natural gas drilling ships
- Liquified natural gas carrier ships
- Liquified Petroleum Gas Carriers (LPG) including Very Large Gas Carriers (VLGC)
Offshore & Industrial Plant EngineeringEdit
- Offshore oil and gas rig engineering and construction
- Oil and gas storage and delivery vessel construction (FPSO)
- Heavylift ship barge and ship transport vessels (Semi-submersible) building
- Naval vessels, with optional Skybench technology
Engine & MachineryEdit
- Marine Engine & Machinery
- Engine Power Plants
- "Bloomberg.com". 2009-01-19. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "HHI Constructs World's Best Ship for 26 Years Straight". Archived from the original on 2012-07-15. Retrieved 2008-11-18.
- Steers, Richard (1999). Made in Korea: Chung Ju Yung and the Rise of Hyundai. Routledge. p. 96. ISBN 978-0-415-92050-6.
- "Welcome to Hyundai Heavy Industries". english.hhi.co.kr. Retrieved 2022-09-22.
- Hyundai Heavy Industries Spins Off into Six Separate Companies Marine Insight News. Nov. 18, 2016. Downloaded Nov. 3, 2017.
- "The last emperor". The Economist. 4 February 1999. Retrieved 11 January 2012.