Hun Neang (Khmer: ហ៊ុន នាង, Chinese: 云良; 27 August 1924 – 12 July 2013) was the father of Cambodia's Prime Minister, Hun Sen. A devout Buddhist, various schools throughout the country are named in honour after him. Hun Neang's official, full title is "Neak Oknha Moha Pheakdey Saburisak Phoukea Thipadei", which was presented to him by King Norodom Sihamoni in 2011.
Neak Oknha Hun Neang
Neak Oknha Hun Neang.
|Died||July 12, 2013 (aged 88)|
|Resting place||Wat Vongkut Borei |
Sen Sok, Phnom Penh
|Known for||Father of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen|
|Children||Hun San |
Hun Neang was born on 27 August 1924, at the district of Stung Trang in Kampong Cham province. He was a resident monk in a local Wat in Kampong Cham province before defrocking himself to join the French resistance and married Hun Sen's mother, Dy Pok in the 1940s. Hun Neang's paternal grandparents were wealthy landowners of Teochew Chinese heritage. Hun Neang inherited some of his family assets and led a relatively comfortable life, as they owned several hectares of land until a kidnapping incident forced their family to sell off much of their assets. His wife Dy Pok died in 1998 of illness at the age of 81.
Death and funeralEdit
His funeral was held at Hun Sen's residence near the Independence Monument. Government officials and foreign leaders attended the funeral and sent their condolences to Hun Sen, including Vietnamese Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung, Thai former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, and Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. King Norodom Sihamoni and Queen-Mother Norodom Monineath were also present. He was interred near his wife's crypt in Vongkut Borei Pagoda in Toek Thla commune, Sen Sok district.
- Kaing Menghun (July 13, 2013). "Hun Sen's Father Passes Away at 89". The Cambodia Daily. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Forest (2008), p. 178
- Harish C. Mehta (1999), p. 15-6
- "Father of Cambodian PM dies at age of 90". People's Daily Online. July 12, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Vietnamese PM, ex-Thai PM visit Cambodia for funeral of Hun Sen's father". Global Times. 2013-07-15.
- Khouth Sophak Chakrya (15 July 2013). "Funeral plans set for PM's father". The Phnom Penh Post. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: