Human Development and Capability Association
The Human Development and Capability Association (HDCA) was launched in September 2004 at the Fourth Capability Conference in Pavia, Italy. It was founded to promote research from many disciplines on key problems including poverty, justice, well-being, and economics.
|Purpose||Promoting research in human development and the capability approach|
|Human Development and Capability Association|
The Association holds annual conferences; maintains a website and mailing list; supports training activities; and provides a forum in which collaborative research can emerge.
The HDCA also produces a peer-reviewed journal, the Journal of Human Development and Capabilities: A Multi-Disciplinary Journal for People-Centered Development. The association is supported by the Canadian International Development Research Centre (IDRC).
The economist and nobel Laureate Amartya Sen was the founding president and remained President until 2006 when philosopher, Martha Nussbaum, took over. She was succeeded in 2008 by Frances Stewart, who specialises in development studies. Economist, Kaushik Basu became president in 2010, and was replaced by another economist, Tony Atkinson in 2012.
Fellows of the HDCAEdit
List of HDCA Fellows as of December 2015.
- Bina Agarwal
- Sabina Alkire
- Paul Anand
- P B Anand
- Sudhir Anand
- Elizabeth S. Anderson
- Proochista Ariana
- Tony Atkinson
- Ken Arrow
- Michael J Sandel
- Erik Schokkaert
- Amartya Sen
- Randy Spence
- Frances Stewart
- Diana Strassmann
- Subbu Subramanian
- Robert Sugden
- Kotaro Suzumura
- Capability approach
- Demographic economics
- Economic development
- International Association for Feminist Economics
- International development
- Journal of Human Development and Capabilities
- Important publications in development economics
- Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative
- Sustainable development
- UN Human Development Index
- Welfare economics
- Women's education and development
- "Human Development and Capability Association Launched". International Institute for Sustainable Development. 3 September 2004. Archived from the original on 21 June 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Welcome to the HDCA". Human Development and Capability Association. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Publications: An introduction to the human development and capability approach: freedom and agency". International Development Research Centre (IDRC). Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "Election results for HDCA Executive Council". Human Development & Capability Association. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "HDCA history and mission". Human Development & Capability Association. Retrieved 8 April 2014.
- "New HDCA Executive Council members elected!". Human Development & Capability Association. 8 June 2015. Retrieved 21 June 2015.
- "HDCA Fellows". Human Development & Capability Association. Retrieved 28 December 2015.