Howard David Fineman (born November 17, 1948) is an American journalist who is global editorial director of the AOL Huffington Post Media Group. Prior to his move to Huffington Post in October 2010, he was Newsweek's Chief Political Correspondent, Senior Editor and Deputy Washington Bureau Chief.
|Born||Howard David Fineman
November 17, 1948
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.
|Education||Colgate University (A.B.)
Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism (M.S.)
University of Louisville School of Law (J.D.)
|Spouse(s)||Amy L. Nathan|
|Children||2: Meredith and Nicholas|
An award-winning writer, Fineman also is an NBC News analyst, contributing reports to the network and its cable affiliate MSNBC. He appears frequently on Hardball with Chris Matthews, The Last Word with Lawrence O'Donnell, and The Rachel Maddow Show. The author of scores of Newsweek cover stories, Fineman's work has also appeared in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The New Republic. His "Living Politics" column was posted weekly on Newsweek.com. Fineman authored his first book in 2008, The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country.
Early life and educationEdit
Fineman was raised in a Jewish family in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh, the son of Jean (née Lederman) and Charles Fineman. Fineman attended Colfax Elementary and Taylor Allderdice High School, graduating in 1966. Fineman holds a B.A. from Colgate University, where he was Phi Beta Kappa and a member of Beta Theta Pi, an M.S. in journalism from the Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and a J.D. from the University of Louisville School of Law. His legal education also included a year at the Georgetown University Law Center. He was also a recipient of both the Thomas J. Watson Fellowship and the Pulitzer Traveling Fellowship for study in Europe, Russia and the Middle East.
He began his journalism career at The Louisville Courier-Journal, covering the environment, the coal industry and state politics before joining the newspaper's Washington bureau in 1978. He moved to Newsweek in 1980, was named Chief Political Correspondent in 1984, Deputy Washington Bureau Chief in 1993 and Senior Editor in 1995. He has become a regular guest on Tony Kornheiser's podcast (The Tony Kornheiser Show) offering political insight to Tony as well as Pittsburgh sports updates. Tony refers to him as "The Intergalactic Editor of the Huffington Post". 
Accomplishments and awardsEdit
Fineman has focused in recent years on the rise and times of George W. Bush. A Newsweek cover story in November 2001 featured the president's first extensive post-9/11 interview. Fineman's other awards include a "Page One" from the Headliners Club of New York, a "Silver Gavel" from the American Bar Association, and a "Deadline Club" from the Society of Professional Journalists.
Fineman has written on the rise of the "religious right", the power of talk radio, race and politics, and the Pledge of Allegiance controversy. He has interviewed business leaders such as Bill Gates, Steve Case, and Steve Ballmer. He interviewed GOP operative Lee Atwater, in the documentary Boogie Man: The Lee Atwater Story.
- Fineman, Howard. "Huffington Post". Retrieved 22 May 2012.
- "Howard Fineman". Newsweek. Retrieved 2008. Check date values in:
- Fussin' and fightin'? It's all good, says author/pundit, By Dan Pine, April 18, 2008, j. the Jewish news weekly of Northern California:jweekly.com
- Pitz, Marylynne (22 September 2009). "Khrushchev charmed the city on visit - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: "Obituary: Jean Lederman Fineman / Longtime teacher loved reading, discussing politics June 9, 1924 — June 27, 2016" by Lindsay Moore June 28, 2016
- Yearbook Picture, 1966 Taylor Allderdice High School, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Howard Fineman bio NNDB. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Howard Fineman '70 is named Colgate's 190th commencement speaker, By Barbara Brooks, April 8, 2011, Colgate University
- Firsts and 'finally' mark commencement, May 13, 2013, UofL Today
- Howard Fineman to deliver keynote at W&J commencement ceremony May 6, 2015, Washington & Jefferson College