House of Gold (released as Family Runs on DVD) is a 2013 Ghanaian Nigerian comedy film, produced by Yvonne Nelson and directed by Pascal Amanfo. It stars Majid Michel, Yvonne Nelson, Omawumi Megbele, Mercy Chinwo, Ice Prince Zamani, Eddie Watson and Francis Odega.
|House of Gold|
|Directed by||Pascal Amanfo|
|Written by||Pascal Amanfo|
|Produced by||Yvonne Nelson|
|Edited by||Okey Benson|
|Music by||Bernie Anti|
Pascal Amanfo Expression
|Distributed by||Silverbird Distributions Limited (theatrical) |
Henrikesim Multimedia (home media)
|Box office||₦15,454,401 (Nigerian domestic gross)|
The film narrates the story of a business mogul and a socialite, Dan Ansah Williams who is dying of cancer and has been told that he has six weeks left to live. He makes a decision with the help of his attorney to call all his children back home, most of whom were born out of wedlock and various illicit affairs. The re-union spins a lot of surprises as each child returns with an agenda, which gives hilarious results.
It was released on 12 April 2013 in Ghana and on 19 July 2013 in Nigeria. Though the film was met with generally negative critical reviews, it received nominations at the 2013 Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards, 2013 Ghana Movie Awards, 2014 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards and 2013 Zulu African Film Academy Awards. It won six awards at the latter, including categories: "Best Picture", "Best Director", "Best Supporting Actor", "Best Supporting Actress" and "Best Cinematography".
- Majid Michel as Freddie Dan Ansah
- Yvonne Nelson as Timara Dan Ansah
- Omawumi Megbele as Nina Dan Ansah
- Umar Krupp as Peter Dan Ansah
- Eddie Watson as Sam
- Francis Odega as John Bosco
- Luckie Lawson as Mitchel Dan Ansah
- Amanorbea Dodoo as Barrister Paula
- Mercy Chinwo as Lucia
- Ice Prince Zamani as Tony
- Dream Debo as Judas
- Marlon Mave as Jamal Dan Ansah
- Emefal Atse as Jasmine
- Pascal Amanfo as Clifford Dan Ansah
A promotional trailer of House of Gold was released on YouTube on 4 March 2013. The film was premiered in Ghana on 12 April 2013 and in Nigeria on 19 July 2013, before going on a general theatrical release in Nigeria. It was released on DVD with the title Family Runs in November 2013 by Henrikesim Multimedia Concept.
House of Gold grossed a total of ₦15,454,401 in Nigerian cinemas, peaking at number 3 on the Box Office chart, at the time of its release, .
The film was generally met with negative reviews. Nollywood Reinvented rated the film 28%, stating that the narrative "takes some getting used to" and concluded: "House of Gold is ‘nothing spectacular’, but it is ‘nothing spectacular’ dressed in pretty clothes and filled with many comic moments". Sodas and Popcorn comments: "House of Gold began with great potential but somehow ended up going last-flight-to-abuja on us all and just crashes shortly after takeoff". It gave the film 2 out of 5 and concluded by stating: "addicts would have had a great time watching this movie, which admittedly was indeed funny. But then, it is what it is; A badly written funny movie. If you are a big fan of a GOOD movie and you were attracted to this movie by the awesome title and lovely poster, then move along. Nothing here for you". Wilfred Okiche of YNaija panned the film, stating that "The plot is repetitive, scripting is wishy washy, characters come and go in a disastrous blur and nothing here is particularly memorable, not even in a bad way". He however commended Francis Odega's performance, but concluded: "Yvonne Nelson and Majid Michel cannot save this House of Gold from sinking". Ameyaw Debrah of Africa Magic gave a mixed review and concluded: "House Of Gold has a lot of good laugh-out-loud moments which make up for the not too impressive acting and fickle storyline. Not a collector’s item but a good movie to see with the family or with friends". Efe Doghudje of 360Nobs gave 3.5 out of 10 stars and concluded: "Family Runs [House of Gold] was a miscue in terms of production quality, post production and scripting, which is very unlike the team that put Single and Married together". Ada Arinze of Connect Nigeria comments: "The movie starts out well, with lots of laughs, but spirals down into a boring and predictable ending".
The film received eight nominations at the 2013 Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards, eleven at the 2013 Ghana Movie Awards, a nomination at the 2014 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards and another eleven nominations at the 2013 Zulu African Film Academy Awards. It won six awards at the latter, including categories: "Best Picture", "Best Director", "Best Supporting Actor" for Francis Odega, "Best Supporting Actress" for Omawumi Megbele, "Best Use of Costume" and "Best Cinematography".
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result|
|2013 Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards||Best Director||Pascal Amanfo||Nominated|
|Most Promising Actress (Best New Actress)||Omawumi Megbele||Nominated|
|Most Promising Actor (Best New Actor)||Umar Krupp||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Francis Odega||Nominated|
|Best Original Screenplay||Pascal Amanfo||Nominated|
|2013 Ghana Movie Awards||Best Picture||Nominated|
|Best Writing (Adapted or Original Screenplay)||Nominated|
|Best Original Score||Berni Anti||Nominated|
|Best Production Design||Nominated|
|Best Editing||Okey Benson||Nominated|
|Best Music (Original Song)||Berni Anti, Mercy Chinwo||Nominated|
|Best Makeup and Hair Stylist||Joyce Mensah||Nominated|
|Best African Collaboration - Best Actor||Francis Odega||Nominated|
|Best African Collaboration - Best Actress||Omawumi Megbele||Nominated|
|Best Sound Mixing and Editing||Berni Anti||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Supporting Role||Henry Adofo Asiedu||Nominated|
|2014 Africa Magic Viewers Choice Awards||Best Actor in a Drama||Majid Michel||Nominated|
|2013 Zulu African Film Academy Awards||Best Picture||Pascal Amanfo||Won|
|Best Actress||Yvonne Nelson||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Francis Odega||Won|
|Best Supporting Actress||Omawumi Megbele||Won|
|Best Newcomer||Henry Ado Asiedu, Mercy Chiwo||Nominated|
|Best Child Performance||Lisa Asor Awuku||Nominated|
|Best Use of Costume||Won|
|Best Screenplay||Pascal Amanfo||Nominated|
- "Top 10 Films in Nigeria in 2013 and the worrying trends". Talking Drum Entertainment. 23 May 2014. Retrieved 22 December 2014.
- Aiki, Damilare (5 February 2013). "BN Exclusive: Coming Soon to the Big Screen! Ice Prince, Omawumi, Majid Michel, Mercy Chinwo & Eddie Watson star in Yvonne Nelson's Movie "House of Gold" - Your Behind-the-Scenes Look & Scoop". Bella Naija. bellanaija.com. Retrieved 30 September 2016.
- "House Of Gold Hits Nigeria Cinemas with Stars Like Omawumi, Yvonne Nelson, Ice Prince". TV Continental. TV Continental. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Alonge, Osagie (30 January 2013). "Omawumi, Ice Prince debut in Yvonne Nelson's new movie". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Ice Prince Makes His Debut African Movie Appearance – House Of Gold". Nigstars. 28 March 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Alonge Osagie (2 April 2013). "VIDEO: Watch Ice Prince, Omawumi, Yvonne Nelson in 'House of Gold' [Trailer]". Nigerian Entertainment Today. The NET. Archived from the original on 26 October 2017. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Inusah, Mustapha Ayinde (25 August 2013). "Yvonne Nelson's "House of Gold" Shakes Nigerian Cinemas [Pictures]". Nigeria Films. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 14 August 2014.
- "Yvonne Nelson's House Of Gold Hits Cinemas". PM News. PM News. 17 July 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "Yvonne Nelson's House Of Gold Hits Cinemas". Vanguard Newspapers. Vanguard. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Oyewoga, Wole (20 November 2013). "Majid Michel,Yvonne Nelson, & Omawumi Dazzle in Exciting New Movie "Family Runs"". BroadstreetNG. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "House of Gold". Nollywood Reinvented. Nollywood Reinvented. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Awojide, Olumuyiwa Sylvester (2 August 2013). "[Movie Review] House Of Gold #Dissathon". Sodas and Popcorn. Archived from the original on 15 August 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Okiche, Wilfred. "Film review: Yvonne Nelson and Majid Michel cannot save this 'House of Gold' from sinking". YNaija. YNaija. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Debrah, Ameyah (13 April 2013). "Movie review: House of Gold". DStv. Africa Magic. Archived from the original on 19 August 2014. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Doghudje, Efe (13 February 2014). "Movie Review: Family Runs… House of Gold". 360Nobs. 360nobs.com. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Arinze, Ada (27 July 2013). "Movie Review: House of Gold". Connect Nigeria. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- "List of Nominees: ZAFAA Global Awards 2013". Nollywood Mindspace. Nollywood by Mindspace. 19 September 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.
- Ola, Gold (23 November 2013). "ZAFAA GLOBAL AWARDS 2013 WINNERS". African Dazzle Magazine. African Dazzle Magazine. Archived from the original on 24 December 2013. Retrieved 15 August 2014.