United States House Committee on Financial Services(Redirected from House Financial Services Committee)
The United States House Committee on Financial Services (also referred to as the House Banking Committee) is the committee of the United States House of Representatives that oversees the entire financial services industry, including the securities, insurance, banking, and housing industries. The Committee also oversees the work of the Federal Reserve, the United States Department of the Treasury, the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, and other financial services regulators. It is chaired by Jeb Hensarling (R-TX) and the ranking Democrat is Maxine Waters (D-CA).
The committee was once known as the Committee on Banking and Currency. The Banking and Currency Committee was created on December 11, 1865 to take over responsibilities previously handled by the Ways and Means Committee. It continued to function under this name until 1968, when it assumed the current name.
The Financial Services Committee operates with six subcommittees. The jurisdiction over insurance was transferred in 2001 to the then-House Banking and Financial Services Committee from the House Energy and Commerce Committee. Since that time it had been the purview of the Subcommittee on Capital Markets, Insurance and Government Sponsored Enterprises. But "with plans to reform Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac expected to take up much of that panel's agenda, insurance instead [was] moved to a new Subcommittee on Insurance, Housing and Community Opportunity [as of the 112th Congress]." In the 115th Congress, a new subcommittee on Terrorism and Illicit Finance was created, dedicated to disrupting the financing of terrorist organizations.
|Capital Markets, Securities and Investment||Bill Huizenga (R-MI)||Carolyn Maloney (D-NY)|
|Financial Institutions and Consumer Credit||Blaine Luetkemeyer (R-MO)||Lacy Clay (D-MO)|
|Housing and Insurance||Sean Duffy (R-WI)||Emmanuel Cleaver (D-MO)|
|Monetary Policy and Trade||Andy Barr (R-KY)||Gwen Moore (D-WI)|
|Oversight and Investigations||Ann Wagner (R-MO)||Al Green (D-TX)|
|Terrorism and Illicit Finance||Steve Pearce (R-NM)||Ed Perlmutter (D-CO)|
- "Chapter 5. Records of the Banking and Currency Committees". Guide to the Records of the U.S. House of Representatives at the National Archives, 1789-1989 (Record Group 233). National Archives and Records Administration. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- Lehmann, R.J. (2011-01-20). "Insurance gets top billing on new House subcommittee". SNL Financial. Archived from the original on 2011-01-27. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Pearce to head committee on terrorism finances". The Arizona Republic. 9 January 2017. Retrieved 27 February 2017.
- House Committee on Financial Services Homepage (Archive)
- House Financial Services Committee. Legislation activity and reports, Congress.gov.
- House Financial Services Committee Hearings and Meetings Video. Congress.gov.