Hooked on a Feeling
"Hooked on a Feeling" is a 1968 pop song written by Mark James and originally performed by B.J. Thomas. Thomas's version featured the sound of the electric sitar (played by Reggie Young) and reached No. 5 in 1969 on the Billboard Hot 100. It has been recorded by many other artists, including Blue Swede, whose version reached No. 1 in the United States in 1974. The Blue Swede version made singer Björn Skifs' "Ooga-Chaka-Ooga-Ooga" intro well known (and famous in Sweden at the time), although it had been used originally by British musician Jonathan King in his 1971 version of the song.
|"Hooked on a Feeling"|
|Single by B.J. Thomas|
|from the album On My Way|
|B-side||"I've Been Down This Road Before"|
|Released||October 29, 1968|
|Studio||American Sound Studio, Memphis, Tennessee|
|B.J. Thomas singles chronology|
Background, recording, and releaseEdit
The song was written by Mark James, who was introduced to producer Chips Moman around 1967 by Moman's mutual friend Steve Tyrell, a singer and James' manager.:81–82 James was hired by early 1968 to write for Moman's publishing company, which led to him writing songs for many artists, including his childhood friend B.J. Thomas.:81–82 One of these songs was "Hooked on a Feeling", which James wrote about the thrills of being in love, inspired by his feelings for his childhood sweetheart.:169 It was recorded at the American Sound Studio in Memphis, Tennessee in 1968, and first released on October 29 of that year.
Jonathan King versionEdit
In 1971, British musician Jonathan King recorded a cover version of the song, adding ooga chaka jungle chants. King described it as "a reggae rhythm by male voices". His version reached number 23 on the UK Singles Chart in November 1971.
Blue Swede coverEdit
|"Hooked on a Feeling"|
|Single by Blue Swede|
|from the album Hooked on a Feeling|
|B-side||"Gotta Have Your Love"|
|Blue Swede singles chronology|
In 1974, the Swedish pop group Blue Swede did a cover version, which included the "ooga chaka" introduction from Jonathan King's 1971 cover. Their arrangement was inspired by a version recorded in 1971 by the Jamaican Reggae band the Twinkle Brothers. The Blue Swede version of the song also tweaked the lyrics to avoid a drug reference. This version reached number one in the United States. Billboard ranked it as the No. 20 song for 1974. On 24 July 2012, the 1974 live performance by Blåblus video was officially uploaded to YouTube. It has over 5 million views as of December 2020.
Original lyrics Blue Swede lyrics "I got it bad for you, girl,
but I don't need a cure.
I'll just stay addicted
and hope I can endure
all the good love…"
"Got a bug from you, girl,
but I don't need no cure.
I just stay a victim,
if I can for sure
All the good love…"
|United Kingdom (BPI)
Blue Swede version
|United States (RIAA)
B.J. Thomas version
|United States (RIAA)
Blue Swede version
^shipments figures based on certification alone
In popular cultureEdit
- A popular animated video, featuring a computer animated dancing baby, and distributed on the internet, features the song. Its popularity increased after a version of the dancing baby and "Hooked on a Feeling" was featured in an episode of the Ally McBeal TV show.
- The Blue Swede version of the song was included in the 1992 film Reservoir Dogs and its associated soundtrack album.
- The 2014 feature film Guardians of the Galaxy, which featured the brass fanfare and title lyrics of the Blue Swede cover version prominently in its trailers and theatrical release, resulted in a significant spike in sales for the recording; the film's soundtrack reached the top of the Billboard 200 chart in August 2014. The song was also featured heavily in the teaser trailer for the 2017 sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. although the song was not used in the actual film.
- "BJ Thomas". Credits. AllMusic. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- "Blue Swede". Hooked on a Feeling. AllMusic. 1974. Retrieved 6 August 2013.
- Jones, Roben. (2010). Memphis Boys : the story of American Studios. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi. ISBN 978-1-60473-402-7. OCLC 642685845.
- Marc Myers (1 November 2016). Anatomy of a Song: The Oral History of 45 Iconic Hits That Changed Rock, R&B and Pop. Open Road + Grove/Atlantic. pp. 146–. ISBN 978-0-8021-8965-3.
- McGovern, Kyle (2014-08-06). "'Ooga-Chaka': A Primer on the Unofficial 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Theme". Spin. Retrieved 2020-08-14.
- McMillan, Graeme (2014-02-20). "Why 'Hooked on a Feeling' Will Be the Song of the Summer, Again". Wired. ISSN 1059-1028. Retrieved 2020-08-14.
- Go-Set National Top 40, 14 June 1969
- "flavour of new zealand - search listener". www.flavourofnz.co.nz.
- Joel Whitburn's Top Pop Singles 1955-2002
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1969/Top 100 Songs of 1969". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- Bronson, Fred (May 30, 1998). "'Chaka' Can and 'Honestly' Does". Billboard. New York. Retrieved September 14, 2014.
- Sakamoto, John (22 August 2014). "A brief history of 'ouga chaka'". Toronto Star. Retrieved 22 August 2014.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970-1992. St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. 1974-04-20. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- [ Flavour of New Zealand, 1 June 1974]
- Whitburn, Joel (1993). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961–1993. Record Research. p. 30.
- "Cash Box Top 100 Singles, April 6, 1974". Archived from the original on September 17, 2017. Retrieved September 17, 2017.
- "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2017-05-07.
- Canada, Library and Archives (July 13, 2017). "Image : RPM Weekly".
- "Cash Box Year-End Charts: Top 100 Pop Singles, December 28, 1974". Archived from the original on July 22, 2019. Retrieved September 17, 2017.
- "British single certifications – Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved July 26, 2019. Select singles in the Format field. Select Gold in the Certification field. Type Hooked on a Feeling in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American single certifications – B.J. Thomas – Hooked on a Feeling". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved July 26, 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "American single certifications – Blue Swede – Hooked on a Feeling". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved July 26, 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- Lefevre, Greg (January 19, 1998). "Dancing Baby cha-chas from the Internet to the networks". CNN. Retrieved June 9, 2020.
- Ashurst, Sam (February 19, 2014). "Guardians Of The Galaxy: James Gunn's Trailer Breakdown: Star Lord's Walkman". Total Film. Archived from the original on February 19, 2014. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Caulfield, Keith (20 February 2014). "Blue Swede's 'Hooked On a Feeling' Sales Soar Thanks To 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Trailer". Billboard.com. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- Wood, Mikael (August 13, 2014). "'Guardians of the Galaxy' soundtrack shoots to No. 1 on Billboard 200". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 19, 2014.
- Dornbush, Jonathon (19 April 2017). "Guardians of the Galaxy Awesome Mix Vol. 2 Tracklist Revealed, Release Date Announced".