Holbeck TMD is a traction maintenance depot located in Holbeck, Leeds, England. The depot is located on the west side of the line from Woodlesford, and is 57 chains (1.1 km) south of Leeds railway station.
Leeds Holbeck Engine Shed
|Location||Holbeck, Leeds, England|
|Depot code(s)||HO (1973-)|
|Former depot code(s)|
Having housed steam locomotives since opening, the introduction of diesels in the 1950s led to steam and diesel being serviced side-by-side, but by 1977 a new two-road diesel maintenance facility had replaced the original brick sheds, so that in 1978 Holbeck was typically host to up to 20 diesel locomotives on weekdays, and up to 30 at weekends, and around this time locomotives allocated here were outstationed at Skipton as well as being used for duties around Leeds City station.
However there were changes in the way that British Rail was working, so that the allocation from 1977 of 18 Class 47s, 39 Class 45s , 3 Class 31s and 11 Class 08 shunters had changed by 1985 when Holbeck had no allocated locomotives with Leeds being provided with shunters and HSTs allocated to Neville Hill located on the other side of Leeds City station.
- "The all-time guide to UK Shed and Depot Codes" (PDF). TheRailwayCentre.com. 5 May 2006. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 December 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Webster, Greengrass & Greaves 1987, p. 43
- Oakley, Michael. Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Diesel Enthusiast's Pocket Guide. 2. Truro: D Bradford Barton. Table 34. ISBN 0 85153 403 1.
- Kennedy, Rex (1980). Eastern Region. Diesels and electrics on shed. 2. Oxford: Oxford Publishing Co. Plates 120-121. ISBN 0 86093 036 X.
- Kilpatrick, R (1978). British Rail locoshed directory. Shepperton: Ian Allan. pp. 27–28. ISBN 0 7110 0871 X.
- British Rail traction depot directory. The Railway Enthusiasts Society Limited. 1980. p. 33. ISBN 0 907183 02 6.
- British Railways locoshed book. Shepperton: Ian Allan. 1977. ISBN 0 7110 0752 7.
- Wood, Roger, ed. (1985). British Rail locoshed book. Shepperton: Ian Allan. ISBN 0 7110 1542 2.
- "11th November 2016 2347 Leeds to Holbeck Loco Sidings". Realtime Trains. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Webster, Neil; Greengrass, Robert; Greaves, Simon (1987). British Rail Depot Directory. Metro Enterprises Ltd. ISBN 9780947773076. OCLC 20420397.
|This England rail transport related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|